Create your free account now! Sign up

I just have a question for the old In House Dawgs

I have a question to those of you who have and maybe still are seeking "In House" employment in the "Cable" business.
Is it me or are old Cable guy's just forgotten relics or dinosaurs?
I mean really I have been in the Cable industry as an In House employee and manager for 26 years. Throughout my career I have moved several times advacing in my position each time.That ever elusive climb to the top.
However it appears I have hit a brick wall I have experiance in Technical Management and as a General Manager or Op's Manager or whatever you want me to do in this business. I have ran systems both big and small. In big cities and small towns. Started as an Installer and went up from there. You know the story we all "used" to tell.
For over 26 years Cable has been my life. Going through to marriages,bankruptcy,from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows but I never gave up on the industry or got out. But now it seems as though the industry has given up on me...Why?? I have seen and done a lot in this business but now suddenly it seems as though I am not wanted. I'm 48 and had hoped to continue to advance in this business and find that right fit but now it seems the phone has stopped ringing. No call backs, no response, nothing!
It began last summer and continues today. I want to find a new challange again I want to find that right fit. To settle in with.
I have submitted well over 50 resumes to companies from Mediacom to Cebridge ,Cable One, Cox, Time Warner, Charter and so on. Companies both big and small and still nothing. Does not my experiance level matter anymore? What the hell is it?
You guy's who have been in the business a long time please help me out here. No I don't have a bachelor's degree is that it? Is it now how many plauqes you can hang on the wall that gets you in? Used to be someone with experiance and knew Cable inside and out mattered. But I'm not so sure anymore.
You could pretty much write your own ticket if you were willing to relocate and play the game all to which I have done.
What the hell has happened? I am certianly not bragging but I can run systems nearly blindfolded....why? Because thats all I have done all my whole life....my family was in Cable thats how I got my start...what has this all come to? Am I the only forgotten one? Was it a curse working for independents now and in the past? Should I have stayed with the big MSO's?
I really could use some advise from some of you Dawgs that are like me on the In House side.
I am frustrated as hell. If anyone would like to discuss there situation please reply I'll be glad to listen or elaborate.
You all are great here on the Bar I just needed to vent. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any input!
Peace!
This is CABL.com posting #145856. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mL6G
There are 14 replies to this message
Re: I just have a question for the old In House Da midwest fiber guy 5/7/2005 8:21:00 AM
Re: I just have a question for the old In House Da Animal AKA Will 5/6/2005 9:46:00 PM
Re: I just have a question for the old In House Da cablwotalife 5/6/2005 12:17:00 AM
Re: I just have a question for the old In House Da 1st to Kink 5/5/2005 6:40:00 PM
Re: I just have a question for the old In House Da Chad Thomas 5/5/2005 12:36:00 PM