Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: I just have a question for the old In House Da

A bachelors degree is what the big MSOs {& other large corporations} are looking for first. I spent 24 years & 9 months in cable. Started as a grunt on a 4 man climbing trunk crew. Those were the days. Run out of lashing wire midspan & you buy a six pack. Forget to brink bugnuts or straps & spacers you'd owe the grunt lunch.

After 14 years with one MSO I left when I saw how the bean counters were going to run the show. For three years I made great money managing retrofit & fiber projects. But thje work started to get farther from home & I was spoiled being close to home & seeing my kids play school sports. I finally told my wife we were going to have live on a tight budget whilst I changed careers. I sent out about 75 resumes to regular construction & real estate management companies. It was in Dec 03 {I don't know why but I hooked up in Dec twice & Jan once when I needed a real job} that I hooked up with my current job which is a combination of property management & construction supervision for a commercial real estate developer.

I loved building cable & fiber, heck @ 43 I even went to work for the company building plant for RCN in Boston as a lineman when I was tired of being 400 miles from home. I expanded my vocabulary to land this job. In the year & a half I have been doing it I am learning new trades & the vocabulary to go with it. I may start a general contracting company once I learn more about estimating. I have built a huge pool of subcontractor talent to draw from.

The point is Frame Relay, don't lose faith in yourself. When I was out of work for about 5 weeks I went to a Limo company & drove airport runs into Boston. All I needed was a suit & the right attitude. The dispatchers liked me so they would throw me a "night out" every now & again. The upside was it allowed me time to read & write resumes. The downside is some people viewed me as "just a limo driver".

Good luck,
Animal
You don't always get what you expect, but you know what you got when you inspect. Happiness comes from within, some poor souls are just without.
This is CABL.com posting #145940. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mL72
Posted in reply to: I just have a question for the old In House Dawgs by frame relay
There are 0 replies to this message