Create your free account now! Sign up

Reaching out for council - My first Divorce

First of all, I would like to say that I usually don't post anything personal here and am only doing this to get a better understanding and some advice for those of you who have been there and done that.

Me and my wife have decided after 14 years of marriage to split up. We have two children, my son is 3 and my daughter is 8. Me and my wife have been going through some rough times now for a while and I have contemplated the D, but have always reverted back to my children to win me over to stay.
Well, now she is pulling herself up and has built up a fanbase on myspace (she is a songwriter) and she has made some great contacts to launch her carreer, so now she has enough confidence to go through with it. She is a one of a kind person and I couldn't have picked a woman with a kinder heart, but she has been through some stuff with me.
So, the last couple of weeks we have been talking and crying and facing the realty that we must do this for our own personal growth and development. We have come together as friends and are waiting until school is out to complete the D.

Here is my question, how much should I give her? How much child support if we are splitting custody equally? How much furniture? I have moved them up from Florida last summer to get us back closer to our families and I don't have the opportunites I would have down there, so I don't have much $$$$ to do this. I may have to move back with dad for a couple of months to save up and get my sh*t together.

Anyways, there it is. Anyone with any helpful tips, please let me know. As I stated, we are getting along great now, but in the event things change, I would like to have a plan to help me from going bankrupt over paying for more than I can.
This is CABL.com posting #184200. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mV48
There are 12 replies to this message
Re: Reaching out for council - My first Divorce vegassatellite 1/31/2007 4:15:00 PM
Re: Reaching out for council - My first Divorce vette87 1/31/2007 12:06:00 AM
Re: Reaching out for council - My first Divorce slimhefty 1/30/2007 2:59:00 PM
Re: Reaching out for council - Try this! mobiletech 1/29/2007 11:06:00 PM
Re: Reaching out for council - My first Divorce H.C.BOLER 1/29/2007 3:59:00 PM
Re: Reaching out for council - My first Divorce vegassatellite 1/29/2007 3:35:00 PM