Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Reaching out for council - My first Divorce

If you guys are getting along now I'de go the mediation route. No lawyers needed and it's binding in court. Basically how it works is you two go in front of the Judge (who really doesn't want to go through all of your personal BS anyway) and ask to have the case sent to arbitration.

You and your soon-to-be ex wife talk with the arbitrator, agree on property settlement, custody, visitation, child support, and so on and you both sign the agreement. That agreement is then entered into the divorce decree and it's accepted by the court.

My ex and I did this and there was no long drawn out court battle, no fighting, and believer it or not, after some 13 yrs of being divorced, we consider each other best friends. I can call her and spill my guts and she can do the same with me.

Good luck man and I know the pain such a situation can cause in a family unit. Keep the kids in the front of your mind and keep cash on hand (in other words empty the bank account and use a check cashing service). I send $ to my ex to help with expenses on a monthly basis not because I have to, but because she is the mother of my children and deserves to live a decent life along with both of my boys (they are both over 18 yrs old so support isn't a issue).

This is CABL.com posting #184226. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mV5y
Posted in reply to: Reaching out for council - My first Divorce by oldschooldbstech
There are 0 replies to this message