Create your free account now! Sign up

How much crap is too much?

So I have a few different situations and am wondering how other techs handle these situations.

(1) My cable MSO has started a new time slot, which is 5-8 pm. This blows because if I get done at three oclock I have to sit around watching the wind blow waiting two or three hours on the customer to take their sweet time coming home from work and show up around 5:30 where I then can get started. I can only hope that I only have one evening slot so I can go home.

(2) If I can't complete the job for any reason, then I have to pack up my tools and leave without making a cent. For example. When I go and do a phone install...I will make the first call and get the number ported and then will wire the coax and cat 3 to telephone modem. Here's the problem. I sometimes make my second call and DOI will tell me that there was a problem porting the number and the job will be rescheduled. I am then expected to forget about the hour I just worked on the job and the gas it cost to get there and up and leave without getting paid for my work done. This isn't fair at all. I might could understand if it was my fault that I couldn't do the work...but it isn't my fault at all...it is the MSO's fault for not having their ducks in a row.

(3) This one is really bad. My MSO gives me refurbished/used equipment. We very rarely get new equipment. This would be ok if someone checked the equipment to make sure that it works before I get it...but for whatever reason they don't. So again I show up and wire the house for a modem or exchange a dct for a dvr or whatever I am doing there. And the equipment won't power up, locks up during booting...a couple of times I had the equipment missing the f-connector screws, geez. So again I am expected to reschedule the customer, reverse my install and leave without a cent.

And you wouldn't believe how often these problems arive. At least once a day. One time I had three dvr installs at three different houses. And not a single one of them would work. I wasted three hours and gas for jobs that I didn't get paid for because my MSO is too cheap to fix these problems.

Ok. tired of typing now. :)
This is CABL.com posting #194209. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mYGz
There are 12 replies to this message
Re: How much crap is too much? orbitfax 7/14/2007 12:04:00 AM
Re: How much crap is too much? jackaroe 7/12/2007 11:25:00 PM
Re: How much crap is too much? slimhefty 7/12/2007 12:40:00 PM
Re: How much crap is too much? trent756 7/11/2007 11:52:00 PM
Re: How much crap is too much? Splicer Life 4me 7/11/2007 11:02:00 PM
Re: How much crap is too much? SimplyWired 7/11/2007 10:54:00 PM
Re: How much crap is too much? 1brikshyvtwin 7/11/2007 10:05:00 PM
Re: How much crap is too much? Thelongclimbhome 7/11/2007 10:02:00 PM
Re: How much crap is too much? kong 7/11/2007 9:46:00 PM