Create your free account now! Sign up

What is going on in this industry???

Contracting in the telecommunications industry has become utterly ridiculous.

1) Contractors not getting paid. (becoming more prevalent than ever before)

2) Prices going down and the costs of working going up.

3) 30-60 day payouts to sub-contractors.(of course you can pay a factoring fee to get it earlier)

4) Established Prime Contractors with 30 page contracts with waiver of lien clauses(the only protection a sub contractor has, taken away) and time is of the essence clauses, (mismanagement by the prime does not affect deadlines)

5) Oh By The Way, now that you've traveled to get to the project, did we mention when we spoke, that you have to do this,this,and this, in addition to what we talked about over the phone.(a.k.a. bait and switch in the retail industry)

6) Sub contractors who haven't showered or shaved in a week and show up to a project with scrap materials from the last project hanging out of the backs of their trucks.

I could go on and on with examples of what we are doing to ourselves and I'm sure there are many stories that could be told from each example of these atrocities.

What can be done to improve our situation.
Let's start at the top,where it all begins.

MSO's : Stop taking the lowest bid. Just because one contractor can underbid another does not mean they can do it with the same quality and timeliness.

Prime Contractors : Stop taking contracts that are fiscally irresponsible for your company and making it up by taking it from the sub contractors you hire. Stop expecting sub contractors to sign contracts that completely insulate your company, but leaves the sub contractor with no recourse.

Sub Contractors : Stop working for Primes that refuse to try and make things better (easier said than done when you're going broke). Start bringing the professionalism back to contracting. Start delivering good quality work ( of course some, have never done any different anyway).

Things need to change!! Will this posting make a difference?
As I said earlier this posting is only really scratching the surface. I hope this will get people talking.
Brandt Media Consultants
This is CABL.com posting #180732. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mVbc
There are 8 replies to this message
Re: What is going on in this industry??? csecomm 12/14/2006 3:59:00 PM
Re: What is going on in this industry??? bushmaster 12/14/2006 6:53:00 AM
Re: What is going on in this industry??? howellcable 12/14/2006 3:28:00 AM
Re: What is going on in this industry??? rmblnmn1 12/13/2006 11:57:00 PM
Re: What is going on in this industry??? abca 12/13/2006 7:12:00 PM
Re: What is going on in this industry??? cabledad 12/13/2006 10:22:00 AM
Re: What is going on in this industry??? Green is Good 12/13/2006 10:08:00 AM
Re: What is going on in this industry??? slimhefty 12/12/2006 11:47:00 PM