Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: What is going on in this industry???

I don't know about the TV industry, but know the phone industry. The problem there is that there are too many hands in the cookie jar!

It used to be that company X, company Y, and Company Z would get contracts with say Verizon and Companies X, Y, and Z would put on enough contractors to do good quality work. Suddenly Verizon decides they want a "Single Service Provider" (only one company gets all the work). SO.... COmpanies X, Y, and Z bid a contract at such reduced prices that they can no longer get contractors that do good quality work.

Since the company that wins the contract can't get quality workers, they turn to head hunters to find anyone that can do the work. Say company Z wins the contract, they now turn to company X to find anyone that can do the work (forget the quality). SO now company Z is takeing 30% off the top, company X takes 15% off the top, so the man actually doing the work is only geting MAYBE 55% of the contract price.

Now, if you don't have your own GL and WC insurance policy company X takes an additional 10% for you to work under their policies.

Low and behold now here's what their asking you to do: SUpply a truck, gas, tools, insurance, skills, and be on call 24/7 for less $ a hour than a inhouse tech makes, who only supplies his @ss and skills.

The problem with the industry is that too many contractors are afraid to tell the companies "NO, I will not work for those rates". I do it all the time! I'de rather go broke or change jobs B4 I'll work under those conditions.

WE have to stick together and let those companies lose some contracts due to the fact that no qualified contractors will work for them in order to change things. NOTHING else will solve the problem.
This is CABL.com posting #180925. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mVej
Posted in reply to: What is going on in this industry??? by cablebob1012
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: What is going on in this industry??? Against the Wind 12/20/2006 2:07:00 AM
looking for dave burnham (boston) joesplicer 12/20/2006 12:02:00 AM
Re: What is going on in this industry??? ernestbige 12/14/2006 5:08:00 PM