Create your free account now! Sign up

Voltage on Center Conductor from House

Has anyone ever seen or heard of issues where voltage back feeding on the center conductor, from a TV, causes intermittent tiling or modem drop-outs? This has been a heated debate in my division over the years and don't think anyone has been able to prove its validity.

To explain the claim in a little more detail, it goes like this. You get to a house and check the center conductor from the in-house network and see voltage. Usually below 60v. However, one could do an amp-load test and won't see any current between the center conductor (where the AC voltage is present) to ground. The fix, adopted by a couple techs where I work, is to install a PB (power block) filter at the ground block. It is claimed that this filter will dissipate the voltage that is present at the ground block, and prevent a buildup of voltage that has resulted in intermittent tiling.

I am doubtful of this scenario and wanted to hear what others think and why. Here's why I'm skeptical that this voltage is problematic:
- Isn't voltage without current just phantom voltage (from emf)?
- I'm pretty sure the PB filters ate intended for use with power passing taps, not back feeds?
- I have never, in my 12 years on the job (5 in service, 6 in maintenance, 1 as maintenance lead) needed to install one. I've been able to resolve all issues more conventionally.
- If this is a real issue, how come it has never been visited by industry technical pioneers (I've never seen a Hranac article about it nor have I seen it in NCTI, SCTE books).

If you're a believer in this non-current carrying voltage causing a problem, back it up. I want to hear about it. Or do I work with a few techs that just want to over complicate a simpler solution to get attention. ;)

This is CABL.com posting #358691. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbFtv
There are 10 replies to this message
Re: Voltage on Center Conductor from House 4x4hog 1/19/2014 2:41:14 AM
Re: Voltage on Center Conductor from House JimBroeckelman 12/6/2013 8:39:11 AM
Re: Voltage on Center Conductor from House jmowens 11/26/2013 8:00:30 PM
Re: Voltage on Center Conductor from House GlennBarnes 11/17/2013 7:01:06 PM
Re: Voltage on Center Conductor from House WaCableTech 11/12/2013 8:08:00 PM
Re: Voltage on Center Conductor from House 1FARMER 11/12/2013 1:11:50 PM
Re: Voltage on Center Conductor from House cablegod11111 11/12/2013 11:29:15 AM
Re: Voltage on Center Conductor from House carlbrown 11/12/2013 10:13:57 AM
Re: Voltage on Center Conductor from House kblman2020 11/12/2013 6:30:27 AM
Re: Voltage on Center Conductor from House Lightmaster 11/11/2013 10:32:32 PM