Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Sumahit and I were talking.......

Even those of you who say you are gung-ho won't show up when your conscience plays tricks on you. It is a catch 22 situation. You can see a benefit either way you look at it. It would be nice if we could all take a stand an make things happen. The reality is that big business knows only one game.....HARDBALL.

If you all do some sort of walk-out all of the families who are dependent of your companies will be without incomes. The MSO will do nothing more than note who is causing the ruckus and let them go.

The "Lapdogs" will prevail and so will the illegals you are so threatened by. What is needed is to close our boarders, tighten up criteria for what defines a contractor by adding additional licensing requirements.

I can not believe that MOST of you do not even need a contractors license to work. What does that say about the profession you are all so quick to defend? IMO you don't even have a right to blame anyone but yourselves for being lazy enough to put fourth the bare minimum required to do your jobs.

How can you be taken seriously by the FRAT BOYS at corporate with their Masters degrees. They paid the price to get their jobs. I do not consider a guy with a truck and tools a contractor.

These guys are seen as LABOR not professional contractors. Labor is the least high on the totem pole and the pay reflects it. Supply and Demand drive the prices right along with the level of pay.

If a client needs a professional to something that requires a professional;, they will pay someone with all of the credentials to get it done. Especially when the laws dictate that a professional is needed and must be part of the equation.

A 1995 Station Wagon with a half baked laborer and a ladder strapped to the top is not as valuable. But hey you get what you pay for. And frankly sometimes a warm body is enough. Especially when someones job is at stake for not making the numbers.

Free installs are offered to drive numbers and make the budgets. They make the money in volume. You can cut a lot of coners when volume is important. It is the fight for subscribers, the number of homes passed, which effect the forecasts and budgets written for each system.

The share holders and corporate officers need to see that the numbers all jive. Quality comes only when there is a danger of loosing great numbers of subscribers and when building the infrastructures to support all of the subs we have forecast to gain .

Even then, when someone threatens to take our subs it is usually because there is some sort of ridiculous price point to contend with like triple play provided for half the price. Then what?

I am not being factious, I am giving you the lowdown on what is really going on behind the scenes. Whether it is right or wrong, it is the truth and NOTHING will change that.

Think about it....why did your parents continually stress the point of education being the most important thing you can have? If you don't have much of an education, you do not command as much compensation for your skills. This is especially true of service oriented jobs such as cable installer or burger flipper.

Now, please, do not try to make it look as though I am putting you all down, because you have my greatest respect . You are the ones who essentially pay the bills of the "Suits" of the sweat of your brows.

If you want more money raise the bar for your selves. It is not anyones fault but yours that you did not pay attention in school. However, it is never too late to change th future through making the sacrifice to better yourself as an individual through education.

Go to night school, take a correspondence coarse. Go to the SCTE website and take some certification courses. I say this because I did these things and my income quadrupled. I worked two jobs, put myself through college (thought grants and scholarships mind you) with 3 babies under 5 and no husband to help out.

It was worth it! I went from minimum wage options to corporate positions. I speak from experience. This is what helped me. You will see that the same problems will occur no matter what industry you are in without an education or some sort of competitive edge.
This is CABL.com posting #185651. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mWsx
Posted in reply to: Re: Sumahit and I were talking....... by nrb1
There are 8 replies to this message
Re: Sumahit and I were talking....... lostintx 2/22/2007 6:55:00 PM
Re: Sumahit and I were talking....... FRACK IT 2/20/2007 10:02:00 PM
Re: Sumahit and I were talking....... tymes 2/19/2007 11:59:00 PM
Re: Sumahit and I were talking....... Vagabond 2/19/2007 8:57:00 PM
Re: Sumahit and I were talking....... Hang em High 2/19/2007 8:02:00 PM
Re: Sumahit and I were talking....... PKTOM1 2/19/2007 6:58:00 PM
Re: Sumahit and I were talking....... oldschoolgal 2/19/2007 3:59:00 PM
Re: Sumahit and I were talking....... Gwester843 2/19/2007 2:00:00 PM