Create your free account now! Sign up

no-compete clause...

Iwork in a system as an installer, sub contract, licensed, insured heck I'm even incorporated! This system has nine prime installation contractors. I work for the largest and to my surprise, the lowest paying one.
Seems to me that since I am essentially considered "self employed" by all the government criteria, I should have my choice of Primes to work for..... WRONG!!
I did my homework on a few other contractors. I made a decision on two others that I would like to work for based on pay and work area. I was told by the owner of the company that I work for, that if I want to change contractors, I would face a six month no-compete clause that he claims the MSO thouroughly supports.
In other words, seeking better pay and working conditions means I have to be unemployed in my hometown for six months.
I've thought about approaching the proper people at the MSO to let them know that THEY would be losing an asset to THEIR company should I be benched for six months. My resume touts over 20 yrs cable exp. with 15 solid yrs of installation. I do all the stuff, RF, Broadband and VoiP and I have a stellar record, no customer complaints, no damages, no failed QC's...
I take care of my own problems, if I have an issue with the system I make damn sure that my install is done 100% correct before I turn an order in for MSO service..
All I want to do is work and be content. Nothing more. I am not happy with the prime I work for for various reasons. That being said, dont ya think him knowing that, which he does, he'd rather see me move along? Even though I have bad feelings, I will not let my work suffer...
Oh well, I know that this doesn't solve anything but let me share a piece of advice to any new guys coming in. BEFORE you sign any contract, make sure that you've done your homework! Are you inking a deal with someone that pays 7 to 12% less that everyone else?? Doesn't sound like much but it could be a $400 to $600 dollar difference in pay monthly....
Thanks, I'm done whining.....
This is CABL.com posting #158121. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mPiv
There are 6 replies to this message
Re: no-compete clause... cabler1 1/10/2006 12:21:00 PM
Re: no-compete clause... downlo80 12/24/2005 5:23:00 PM
Re: no-compete clause... cu91 12/24/2005 1:16:00 AM
Re: no-compete clause... dumyid 12/23/2005 12:13:00 AM
Re: no-compete clause... Innovative Marketing 12/22/2005 6:27:00 PM
Re: no-compete clause... bushmaster 12/22/2005 8:30:00 AM