Create your free account now! Sign up

SCTE Cable Tech Expo in Denver

Fellow Cable People,

I know how over the past few years there has been quite a bit of talk on how "our" industry is a dead or dying industry. I can not remember it ever being this grim since I started in 1979 over the past few years. For those of you who remember the old "Western Show" in Anaheim that is no longer we have seen better days.

Over the past 3 days at the SCTE Cable Tech Expo here in Denver I can say that it is the best show that I have seen in years. The equipment manufacturers and  hundreds of other exhibitors along with the attendance from cable operators from all over the world was very uplifting to the mind and soul. There was not a negative comment about the industry nor any type of "dooms day prophecy" heard among anyone I spoke with about the future of cable, just how bad the economy was and how we are getting back on our feet just like other businesses are. Many people were not even worried about FIOS competition as the technological advances in the industry will only allow cable to be competitive with it and allow the end customer to have a better product that was previously offered. Way to much to list here but cable is not dead. Since my badge number was 29,420 I would assume the attendance was over 30,000+ (not bad for a dying industry, huh?).

I thought that I should share this bit of positive information with the BAR since over the years all I have seen and heard was negativity and how nobody will ever make a living at this business.  Of course there will always be hacks and dishonest people in any business and eventully they will be weeded out, but this should not prevent anyone who has made a living at cable want to quit. I know that there will be many replies to this post claiming that I am an idiot as most posts get here but there will always be those type around us.

Sorry for rambling but I just wanted to share something positive with those who did not have the opportunity to see. Don't give up yet guys, it is only going to get better.

Greg Tobin
Interactive Broadband Technical Services, LLC

This is CABL.com posting #277847. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbkrz
There are 7 replies to this message
Re: SCTE Cable Tech Expo in Denver Trey9007 11/9/2009 11:36:10 AM
Re: SCTE Cable Tech Expo in Denver okieboy 11/2/2009 5:20:01 PM
Re: SCTE Cable Tech Expo in Denver Sweeptech2004 10/31/2009 11:18:16 PM
Re: SCTE Cable Tech Expo in Denver RadioMan 10/31/2009 6:31:18 PM
Re: SCTE Cable Tech Expo in Denver rickpsat 10/31/2009 4:09:54 PM
Re: SCTE Cable Tech Expo in Denver Gary Vest 10/31/2009 4:01:28 PM
Re: SCTE Cable Tech Expo in Denver Joe50 10/31/2009 10:40:53 AM