Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: An association is more viable than a union

yaya, trade specific, company specific... does it matter.  There is organized and unorganized labor in any trade but the only place organized labor has any leverage is dealing with the companies who utilize organized labor.

many laws on the books eh.  you show me a law that says it is illegal to back charge a piece rate worker to correct a work deficiency more than the piece rate paid with no damages involved.  then show me where the penalty for breaking that law is a $10k fine per incident.  you show me that and ill point out where the line of sharks starts at.

Absolutely attorneys line up because they can make money.  This would be an interesting statistic to dig up.  There are complaints all the time on the bar about money.  Hell its a known fact for anyone that has been around that it happens, how, and why.  So how many suits do attorneys take on every year for technicians?  I'll bet it's a real low number.  Why?  Because there are virtually no labor laws on the books in most states and no penalties for attorneys to chase.  You said there are a lot of laws...  have you actually sat down and read the labor laws for any given state?  Pick a state, i'll bet we can post the entire state statues on labor law for any given state in one short post.

Where does the money go.  It is not rocket science.  Shit like this happens because a group of like minded people get together and pony up.  Some type of non-profit is formed, goals for the entity are set, a budget is determined to accomplish those goals, skill sets are sought out in personnel to achieve the goals, and some kind of revenue is projected in the form of dues to continue forward.  Hopefully an organization would have good well thought out goals that make sense and would appeal to a broad cross section of the industry where people would be motivated to ante in and join to see issues tackled that affect the common good.

I did not suggest it was cheap nor did I suggest it was easy.  I do assert that in the present day good ol U.S. of A. corporations dominate the political scene, hence the reason that most of the shit that comes out of Washington was never intended to benefit the small fry.  As individual laborers we can either choose to get in the game and play the policital scene better than big companies have been for the past few decaides or we can keep taking it up the ass and smile.

Fortunately for this particular industry installation, construction, and maintenance is not going to be outsourced to India or China anytime soon.
Need some unscheduled time off? Just say no
This is CABL.com posting #262303. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbgoR
Posted in reply to: Re: An association is more viable than a union by Splicer Life 4me
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: An association is more viable than a union Splicer Life 4me 8/2/2009 12:12:58 PM