Create your free account now! Sign up

FiOS to end his career ?

Well I had FiOS installed yesterday and as a consumer that knows about the industry I have to say it's a great product. With the cable company it cost me $230 a month for my triple play, with FiOS it's $129 for the first six months and then $167 a month. That saves me a grand in the first year. The quality of service is great ( I did wire my own home ) but simply the first difference I see is no lag when changing high def channels, none. Instant dedicated bandwidth when running tests, not bursts of speed like with cable. Essentially I now have more services for less $$$$ and as a consumer thats great.

But since the inhouse Verizon tech with 28 years of service and I indentified alot about this industry his comment to me was "by installing FiOS he was cutting short the careers of himself and his fellow workers". Why I asked him, he said because the new FiOS plant was essentially low mantainence. Not much to corrode, get water logged, burn out, etc. As the new ftth plant grows all new installs, even pots will be done with ftth and an ont.

With the present economy more people are going to want to save $$$ and FiOS is a viable, and in most cases better alternative to cable. This means less cable installs, less cable plant mantainence, less build out.
This is CABL.com posting #244293. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbbIn
There are 7 replies to this message
Re: FiOS to end his career ? rpcomm 2/26/2009 8:38:59 PM
Re: FiOS to end his career ? sdelnay 2/26/2009 7:23:45 AM
Re: FiOS to end his career ? Homerdogg 2/25/2009 6:07:07 PM
Re: FiOS to end his career ? cableho 2/25/2009 11:35:23 AM
Re: FiOS to end his career ? messenger 2/24/2009 10:05:26 PM
Re: FiOS to end his career ? islandcable 2/24/2009 10:50:19 AM
Re: FiOS to end his career ? topsail tech 2/24/2009 8:49:24 AM