Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Union?

Trey, You know, the more I listen to you, the more I come to think that your heart is probably in the right place and you truly believe that the union concept is a valuable one and one that can be used to help solve problems between labor and management.

My problem with unions is not so much with the concept but with the execution of the concept. When I look around, I see just as many (if not more) problems occurring when a union is introduced into a situation. All that stuff that was presented in my previous post is real serious stuff. It's one thing to inappropriately fire someone, but it is quite another to kill someone, or threaten bodily harm to a worker (or his pets, for that matter) if they don't comply with the unions wishes. I know these are extreme examples but evidently a lot of these kind of things have gone on in the past and obviously continue to happen.

In a perfect WORLD (there's that word "perfect" again), maybe the union concept could consistently work. But also, in a perfect world there would be no need for unions because employers would always treat their employees fairly and employees would always do what is in the best interest of the companies that they work for (like giving a 100% effort for the entire eight hours that they are being paid for, which rarely happens in the industry that I work in -- management is not always the problem).

This is probably not the best analogy, but I'll give it a try.

I am not real fond of the I.R.S. I am not against the idea of the government collecting taxes to provide for the essential common needs of Americans (like highways, defense, etc.). But the IRS has become such a large and powerful, inconsistent, inefficient organization that, in my opinion, it will have to be totally overhauled if it is ever to be a fair and viable government agency. The IRS has literally ruined the lives of many good citizens that did not deserve such treatment. Often their only sin was not understanding the volumes of code produced by the IRS.

Unfortunately, the unions (somewhat like the IRS) have now accumulated a history of abuse of power and have accumulated so much baggage and bad press that most Americans no longer trust them. I think a lot of people feel like the union "cure" is (or at least, could be) worse that the disease.
This is CABL.com posting #169549. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mSgP
Posted in reply to: Re: Union? by Trey9007
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Union? Trey9007 6/6/2006 11:13:00 PM
Re: Union? Trey9007 6/5/2006 4:15:00 AM