Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Union?

Youve been missing my point. My point is not that its OK because there is scandal in other places. My point is... WHY ARE ONLY LABOR UNIONS DEEMED BAD DUE TO THE ACTIONS OF A FEW, AND WHY ARE THEY THE ONLY GROUP WHOS GOOD IS FORGOTTEN DUE TO THESE ACTIONS. This is my point. Ive asked that many times, so how you missed it, I dont know.

I acknowledge these things exist. People try to take advantage of the system. Do you honestly think Im one who joins a labor org and sits quiet. I have said before, you must stay involved just like you should stay involved and watch the actions of your elected officials, and other groups paid by your tax-dollars. Its no difference.

Unions themselves acknowledge these things happen. Thats why they have real safeguards in place. Thats why a national union has the right to take over a local union (trusteeship). Many of the indictments you mention are a result of union self policing. Unions want them out, just like anyone else would want wrong doers out of their orgs.

My problem is people like you who equate the word union with the CWA, IBEW, IBT and etc...... These are unions, unions arent them. Meaning although these are labor orgs, they do not define who unions are. Unions are a group of workers certified by the NLRB to bargain with their employer under the guidelines of the NLRA. Your theory is that if 10 guys who have been model citizens, lets say its 10 good ole boy cable guys. You think if they became a certified bargaining unit, they then transform into crooks.

Your problem is not with unions, it is with "big labor". You have a valid and popular gripe. When anything gets bigger its harder to keep pure. Not impossible,, just harder. If a person feels big labor is no good, they are not alone. Thats why you have people who enjoy being members in smaller independent unions. They have the same gripes you have, but they dont say the hell with the only process workers have to fight. They join smaller independent union and use the same set of laws as the big unions to protect their members. Workers also have Beck Rights, meaning your money and support stays in the local. Both of these things I support.

It seems you are looking for me to some how defend these crooks. I wont. As I have said a million times. I support the process of organized labor 100% of the time, I support the people in some of the times.
This is CABL.com posting #169536. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mSgC
Posted in reply to: Re: Union? by SatSouth
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Union? SatSouth 6/4/2006 3:58:00 PM