Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Trey... What do you do for a living?

Valid point. The old me would ask you who are you making the comparisons with. Im making mine with companies, as Im supposed to be a contractor which means Im a company. Call your local electrician company, tell them your teenager pissed you off and you want them to come disconnect the phone line in their room. See what the COMPANY charges you to roll a truck and take 5 mins to disable jack. Then compare it to what a contractor gets paid to roll a truck climb a pole and disconnect a cable drop.That electrical company will charge you at least $50, but the cable contractor will get $12 for what I say to be more work.

Now many people are thinking my comparison is wrong because I compared the cable guy with company. Youre wrong. As contractors we are companys and should bid on pricing as we are companies. To many of us approach this business as we are employees. Partly because no matter what these companies say, you are an employee. But we being the proud contractors we are, make our bids and compare ourselves with employees and not companies as we should.

To make matters worse, if you were to compare certain employees to our contractors, the employee comes out way ahead. In my old way of thinking, I thought that its impossibe for an employees of one company to make more on a job than an owner of a company/ contractor doing the same work. But as I said before, Im trying to rid myself of this math. I now want to learn and become proficient in this Dawg and sat contractor math everyones seems to know and love. I know some how someone can explain that a contractor doing a disco for $12 is a better deal than the electrician shop that charges $60 to come out and disable a jack. They also can tell us how that electrician is just a lazy SOB because he has the nerve to actually charge for his companys time and effort.

This is CABL.com posting #163883. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQNr
Posted in reply to: Re: Trey... What do you do for a living? by sumahit
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Trey... What do you do for a living? johned 3/23/2006 2:01:00 AM
Re: Trey... What do you do for a living? sumahit 3/23/2006 1:30:00 AM
Re: Trey... What do you do for a living? oldweller 3/22/2006 3:43:00 PM