Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Time to get out of DirecTV

Trey,

Never have I had a harder time supporting my family than I did as a member of a union. The rules put in place to protect both sides really do backfire on everyone involved. Look at the Grocery workers strike in California...it lasted months. The transportation strike in New York was ended by a million dollar a day fine, and where did the money come from to pay it, your dues paid for it. When I wanted to work overtime, or needed to change my schedule it took an act of congress. I wanted to work harder and earn more money, but could not because the contract prevented us from that. It is just way too rigid. It may not mean much to some to have fifty dollars a week taken out of their check....but for others, it could mean the difference of being able to eat that week. As it is, the group seems to feel that they are not getting treated or compensated fairly, and there is a lot of validity to that, but unions only complicate this further. Unions isolate the worker from the decision makers. People in management positions cant go to bat for their teams because of the risk of lawsuits. You can not help your team at all if they are involved in a union, it is risky. I like to be able to make deicions as they come. I don't want to have to get permission for every little thing I have to do. I suffered tremendously as a member of a union, a single Mother with two jobs and going to college full time is a lot in the first place. Unions make it difficult for those of us who do care about our team members to be flexible. If a company or industry goes union, you have to join to work with them. I did not want to join, because I could not afford the dues, but was forced to if I wanted to keep my job. When you have mouths to feed, you have to work. 3 months after becoming unionized the company went belly up and closed its doors forever. The union did nothing to help relocate workers. We felt totally taken advantage of. In fact anytime something went wrong the union advocates were unavailable to help us. We got nothing in return for joining and paying our dues. And I hate to break it to you but unions do bully people around. When the grocery strike was happening in California, customers were bullied and a few beat up for crossing picket lines to do some grocery shopping. The case was the same with the scabs who came to work during the strike. What do the customers have to do with it? I witness union guys bulling contractors on job sites, trying to shut jobs down claiming the work for their union. I swear on my career I have seen this. I know it is risky to even take part in the discussion, but I want to share the other side with everyone so they can make a educated deicion. I could go on and on, I don't care if it makes me unpopular with some. I guarantee that I care immensely for everyone here, that is why I am adamant. You can disagree all you want and that is fine with me. Of coarse you will probably spend a lot of time trying to discredit what I feel, but you cant, because the feelings belong to me, and I am only sharing them with you all, I own my opinions, and don't want to sell that out to a union. It does not hurt my feelings at all when people like uboatcommander try to be funny by talking crap about what I have to say because I simply don't care what he thinks of me. I know I am a good person, who treats people fairly, and listens to peoples needs, and I make changes accordingly. You cant do that in a union, at least not on a case by case basis. When it comes down to it, people are happier at work when they know their boss has the flexibility to deal with them as individuals, and not as a group.
This is CABL.com posting #161407. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mP9v
Posted in reply to: Re: Time to get out of DirecTV by Trey9007
There are 4 replies to this message
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV autoclub 2/15/2006 11:56:00 AM
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV Trey9007 2/13/2006 8:54:00 PM
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV uboatcmdr 2/13/2006 4:43:00 PM
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV Gwester843 2/13/2006 2:16:00 PM