Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Time to get out of DirecTV

OSG,

Contrary to you, I had the easiest time in my life supporting my family while in a union. Contract said I was to be paid every Tuesday, and every Tuesday I was paid. In 2001 I was making $27.62/hr + 10% night diferential which put me at about $30.12. Remember, this is 2001. I recieved double time for oner 9 hours of OT worked in a week. I had a paid vacation. And my supervisors spoke to me and treated me like I was a human being. Being one of the less senior people I also had to jump a few hurdles for a schedule change. I usually didnt get prime pickings for vacation weeks, but it was OK with me because I knew the rules going in and I knew that although I may not have alway got the best, I always knew I was being treated fairly and that the contract was being followed. I respect seniority. I think its the best way to keep favortism out of the equation.

As a non-union sat installer Im illegally classified as a contractor. And get this, I cant schedule my own work, just like an employee. My brothers in cable are also illegally classifed as contractors. And you're not going to believe this, but they are required to report to a base location, just like an employee. You think we had it bad as union workers getting a day off, you should here the stories I here from cable "so called" contractors. We get all this employee treatment but contractor status, which is illegal. Is that fair? Is it fair that this mostly non-union industry is taking advantage of workers and knowingly circumventing labor laws. And we all know this is not something done by a few companies. Its done by mostly every company in this industry, Im willing to bet even yours. Is this is what so great about being an individual. But maybe I see your point. A few of us might be able to walk in the bosses office and stand up to him and then get the correct treatment, but what about everybody else. Is that fair?

It is not my intent to justify the actions of every union person in the world. Thats just stupid. Unions have done things that are wrong. So have priest, so have cops, so have teachers, so have you, and so have I. BUt do we condemn any of these group. NO. We dont condemn the idea of Church and faith for the actions of a few priest. We dont condemn the ideal of law enforcement due to corrupt cops, and we dont condemn the idea of schooling because of a few bad teachers. We dont condemn these groups. We work harder and create safeguards and work on keeping them free from corruption so that the good they do can coninue. But why is organized labor so different. Why do you condemn organized labor for the actions of a few. You condemn an organization of 14 million for the actions of a few. What makes organized labor so different from everybody else. We wont say abolish law enforcement and allow crime to run rampant because of bad cops, but we say lets abolishh organized labor and allow the silencing of workers rights and allow companies to screw workers. I just dont see why.......

IM done on this topic. Have a nice shouting match........
This is CABL.com posting #161479. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mQaF
Posted in reply to: Re: Time to get out of DirecTV by oldschoolgal
There are 4 replies to this message
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV oldschoolgal 2/15/2006 2:46:00 PM
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV Bird Dog 2/14/2006 1:41:00 PM
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV oldschooldbstech 2/14/2006 10:24:00 AM
Re: Time to get out of DirecTV Gwester843 2/14/2006 9:50:00 AM