Create your free account now! Sign up

C-band problem

Hi, I run a small cable system and I have a problem that is driving me crazy. I could use some help figuring out what to do. A few months back I started having interference problems with my satellite reception. The problem only affects a few channels, all digital (more on that later) and only happens in the afternoon and only happens maybe one out of 10 days with no apparent pattern. What happens is I get some kind of spike of signal that only lasts for micro seconds but is enough to cause the digital signal to be interrupted long enough to cause the receiver to go into bypass (de-auth). This happens on about a ten second interval. I can look at analog unscrambled pictures and see it when it happens. It looks like a horiz. Bar of blur that is only a dozen lines or so thick. When it happens on the digital channels I hear a loud blip in the audio, then the picture freezes, then the de-auth relay clicks off. About 2 seconds later everything comes back on. Then ten seconds or so later it happens again. It is getting into these channels:
USA off of G1R #24
Cinemax G1R #23
HBO G1R #23
TLC AMC10 #14
Playboy ?T7 #5

At first it only happened once a month, but now it happens every 10 days or so. It always happens in the afternoon and never lasts past five leading me to believe that it’s a business that’s causing this. I don’t have a spectrum analyzer but I rented one to try to track down where this interference is coming from. Unfortunately the sweeptime of the analyzer I rented is way to slow to try and track this kind of intermittent signal. The problem happened yesterday and I spent several hours playing with the analyzer hooked to a LNB and I could see signal spikes but only if the spike happened to coincide with where the sweep was. It is really frustrating because even when it’s happening it’s not constant. It will happen for 10-20 minuets then stop for a while then start happening again.

I’m not sure what I should do. I hope someone out there can help me out on this one, it will be most appreciated.

P.S. I have 8 C-band dishes and carry 60 C-band channels.
This is CABL.com posting #152967. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mNXn
There are 6 replies to this message
Re: C-band problem Arab splcr 9/25/2005 4:23:00 AM
Re: C-band problem cablwotalife 9/25/2005 1:08:00 AM
Re: C-band problem Skopejw 9/24/2005 7:04:00 AM
Re: C-band problem frame relay 9/22/2005 5:54:00 PM
Re: C-band problem JohnBoy 9/22/2005 5:45:00 PM
Re: C-band problem JSConst 9/22/2005 3:29:00 PM