Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: fiber??

I agree with Butch Cassidy to an extent. Certs on a resume show an interest and devotion to a field. We all know you paid alot of personal money to get these basic courses and that will help. Experience in coax shows experience in working an OSP enviroment (rain, sleet, snow). Terminology is a key area. One of the first things I do to an applicant is ask things like "What splicer have you used?" Very simple question but they look at me like I'm speaking Madarin Chinese. Learn equipment name and models you use in these schools. Learn what "Ringcut" means. Learn what Fiber diversity means in a MAN network and how it is spliced. Learn different OTDR's and basic operation and displays. Learn OTS use and how to calculate a Loss Budget. Learn these well and list them on your resume. Locate a fiber company and volunteer 1 night a week on hot cuts to build experience and maybe get some troubleshooting in there. Every company loves free labor and either they will hire you or you take this experience to the masses. Verizon is looking for in-house fiber guys for FFTH. They WILL have problems finding experienced guys. This is a fact. Relocate in jump in. Always keep abreast of the advancements in fiber such as the OC-768. Get scrap fiber and practice prepping ringcuts and tails. Keep meticulace notes and memorize. Get books on fiber theory and learn, not memorize, things like Snells Law. If you want this part of telecom, do everything perfect, like it will be photographed for a magazine, look professional, sound professional, be a fiber nerd. My company is the best in the industry and we all see things this way. We have never lost a customer, and when they come to us after using others, we become their sole fiber company. This is the way we do things and will not change. It is all about pride in workmanship, not the money. I'm disgusted by mediocre work because the customers pay twice for a service and that makes them hesitant to pay top dollar knowing they may have to pay twice. It makes it harder on those few of us that do quality work. If it is very important that all speak highly of you and you will work hard to keep that, then maybe you will do great. Good Luck.
This is CABL.com posting #141758. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mK2A
Posted in reply to: Re: fiber?? by Cbilstein85
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: fiber?? Cbilstein85 2/11/2005 9:14:00 PM
Re: fiber?? cablecommando 2/3/2005 2:15:00 PM