Create your free account now! Sign up

new pay rates

Im wondering if any other subs have had their prices cut from 2004 prices, I contract from several primes in a major metro market, I have worked here for 15 years starting in house & then contracting. I have had very few gigs in this time & have a good rep that I have tried hard to maintain.
My question is:
In most industries if you do a good job you get a standard cost of living raise to offset rising prices, gas, housing, insurance...
why is it that even though Im told that Im doing a great job, my prices are cut?
I understand that the corp directors & thier stockholders also need to make a profit, but they need to realize that the reason they are making a profit is that there are qualified profesionals who daily toe the line.
I have several subs that work WITH me (not FOR me, we are a team) Most have been with me for a long time, (Ive also weeded out alot of deadwood). Ive learned to take care of my best people, to back them up & treat them with the respect they deserve. In return I recieve quality work from a crew I can trust.
My next question is :
How do I explain to these guys that even though they gave it all they have, worked nights & weekends, that they will make less money for the same work?
Im not sure what the future holds for all of us, the only constant is change & you need to roll with it. FTTH is here & I have friends w/verizon who tell me they are ready to eat our lunch. They left the cable co for a union, better benefits, higher pay. I personaly have a hard time with this because I enjoy the freedom of being a contractor, but I often wonder when the benefits will outweigh the freedom, we all need to provide for our family.
This is CABL.com posting #141473. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mKXZ
There are 5 replies to this message
one last ridiculous rant! inthewoods 1/31/2005 10:12:00 PM
Re: new pay rates bushmaster 1/30/2005 12:23:00 AM
Re: new pay rates Butch Cassidy 1/29/2005 1:17:00 AM
Re: new pay rates lostlineman2 1/29/2005 12:07:00 AM
Re: new pay rates catvtony 1/28/2005 11:19:00 PM