Create your free account now! Sign up

one last ridiculous rant!

Comcast has eliminated all the smaller contractors in my area. They only want one contractor per metro area. If you can't put 100 trucks on the street overnight they won't talk to you. There is still some of Adelphia and a little Metrocast, but these will be gone by next Spring, rumor has it, so I'm that interested in it. Nov to Feb is the slow season around here, and when it slows down, I take a reign check instead of working 40 dollar days. Some primes I've known since I've started and like very much, others I wouldn't slow down if they were crossing the street.

Once in a while when I don't have a gig I'll get called and asked to fill in for a week(someone's out, someone quit, yadayada plenty of work).

It never fails that this is during the coldest weeks, because I'm known to work when others won't, I just won't work for less. Sure enough I get called when it -10 outside. YEAH, NOW WHO'S YOUR BEST FRIEND.

New manager, owner's an old friend who gave me my start. Sure.

On this week, Teusday, 1030am, I replaced a drop (part of an install) after the modem failed to lock. I looked out at the pole and could see a broken branch on the strand, pinching the cable because of the snow load. So I drag out my ladder, slug it into 10 ft of snow around the pole, climb it, inspect it, remove it, replace it, re-tie at the house, run to the ground block, reground it, tag it and then the modem locks up. GO FIGURE! Get back to the shop 4:15 pass in work. 170 bucks. After taxes, expenses, gas, coffe. Good day, around 15 bucks an hour depending on what overtime I don't make later in hte week. Oh yeah, and I had to replace a drop. What is is it? 8 bucks?

OH, no, that's not the way to do it. Call it in. They'll send somebody out to make sure it needs to be replaced. Don't want you newbies making changes to "THE PLANT". We can't pay you for unauthorized work.

Look at the old drop, look at it! (it was still in my truck, but I guess this was all part of my elaborate setup to rook 8 bucks)

"The freeking thing is munched! A tree branch with a foot of snow fell on it!"

We'll pay you the six bucks for the AO you ran,
What about the install?
Nope, drop and the install are out.
They wanted me to abandon the install, make the customer wait so they could come out , look at the drop I ran, and then bill for the install that was done.

Maybe you've got a rosier picture out there in the rest of the world , but the Contractors around her don't expect you to make more than 700 a week with your own truck. Kill yourself to make 900 and next week you get a s*** route.

"we got to even it out for everyone. good with the bad"

The old shops of 10-15 guys who took care of each other are all gone. Now in order to make it a prime has to shove 100 installers into the streets, slash his prices, and then wait for Comcast to pay. I don't envy them, but I'm not going to pull weight for McD's wages either.

Like most construction workers, I always assumed that I could fall back on installs and gross a grand a week. I haven't met an installer in the Comcast system, having asked EVERYONE I've come in contact with, who has averaged more than 900 a week. That's everyone I've met, flagged down, asked at gas stations, malls, anywhere I've seen a truck. We're talking at least a hundred people who don't know anyone themselves.

I'm sure some guys are doing better than that. When I was cranking out the doe I never let the secret out either. BUT EXPLAIN WHY THE AVERAGE EXPERIENCE OF MOST OF THESE GUYS IS A YEAR OR TWO? HIGH TURNOVER MEANS THE JOB AND THE MONEY SUCK
900 a week
six days a week
8-12 hour days.
I've tried it, I've done it, and for the money left after expenses are accounted, it averages between 9-10 bucks an hour.
McDonnalds starting wage is 10 bucks an hour, with health benifiths. CATV is dead. At least in the North East, where the median price of a 1800sqft home is $300,000.
This is CABL.com posting #141677. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mK1h
Posted in reply to: new pay rates by router
There are 4 replies to this message
Re: one last ridiculous rant! rdrner 2/5/2005 3:25:00 AM
Re: one last ridiculous rant! catvtony 2/2/2005 7:24:00 PM
Re: one last ridiculous rant! jprh 2/2/2005 7:24:00 AM
Re: one last ridiculous rant! JLPS 2/1/2005 11:56:00 PM