Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Need info from (real) old timers

started in 1981 on the fairfield conn. job with AM cable communications.. hitting 30 sticks a day...and good ol Bud Peabody was the supervisor...there was no GF riding your back, or QC instectors...just plenty of cable and miles of pole line.
oh yeah..whats a bucket truck...never saw 1...
as a lineman there was a certian code you followed.
a brotherhood so to speak.....forman and top hooks in the cab of the truck and the grunts rode on the back....even in the rain....thats the way it was.
If you were slow or couldnt hack it you were ran off...a lot of the time you were beat up first.....unsafe workers were ran off too..

At the middle of the job there were 23 crews....i knew all of there names and what kind of beer they drank......everyone showed up
for work hung over or not......threw up....and hit there pole.....

This was the 1st dual A/B system in the country .875 .625 and 1.00 transportation runs......anyone pulled 8 1.00 cables on 3/8 strand,over a 75' amtrack crossing on hooks lately...

we built that system 3000 miles turn key in 2 years 6 months.... 5 years and Atlanta's still not finished....so what im leading to is the catv industry has lost something....and i dont think it will ever be the same as it was back then....to much red tape i gess.....to many bucket babys workin just for them selfs ,with no guidance,no one to scream at them when they screwed up and make them buy beer for their screw ups (cases some times) and then at the end of the day..drink it with them.....and the rest of the crew...
The business has gone soft in many ways.......but i do miss THE BROTHERHOOD OF LINEMAN

in memory of Billy Brennan, who taught me what a real lineman is

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ยป Close Window
This is CABL.com posting #110489. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mCUf
Posted in reply to: Need info from (real) old timers by CABLE PHILOSOPHER
There are 8 replies to this message
Re: Need info from (real) old timers punkadink 5/4/2004 6:35:00 AM
Re: Need info from (real) old timers oopsIII 7/25/2003 1:08:00 PM
What...Old Timers, at 47 I'll still outwork allYa! CableSquatter 6/28/2003 1:51:00 AM
Re: Really, Really old timers CableSquatter 6/28/2003 1:46:00 AM
Old Timers! Huked Ahn Fonics Wurked Fowr Mie! CableSquad 6/28/2003 1:13:00 AM
Re: Need info from (real) old timers Mapzz 6/28/2003 1:02:00 AM
Re: Need info from (real) old timers okieboy 6/28/2003 12:03:00 AM
Re: Need info from (real) old timers prohook 6/27/2003 10:46:00 PM