Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Really, Really old timers

Back in 1974 I was laying 6000 feet of new Aerial Build a day with a 2 man crew! Making 6 Cents a foot Back then. $120-150 Average A day! And Have never looked back! I run a cable business and make between $300-$3000 A day! Not too bad for a cable Grunt!

Back in those days you worked sun up to sun down Monday through saturday! And made Darn good money in the process. I was a grunt and never rode in the back of the truck unless I wanted too! I was a Black educated man with a high school diploma and was treated by some white folks with alot of respect! Back then I worked my butt off and never coplained ! I helped build the first cable system in northern Caklifornia and made enough money in one summer to pay cash for a new car and spend 1 month in Hawaii. Unlike my fellow grunts (as were mentioned sadly in a previous e-mail) I was treated with respect! Now a day guys cry if they are not home by 5:00 pm, and most work a half a day friday so they can go home to momma! Where are the B*@ls on these cable guys today! Oh its too hot, Oh I'm too drunk, Oh i wet my pants! What's with it! No wonder this business has turned so ugly lately...Who wants to pay top dollar to a bunch of "Tatood, Hungover, Un-educated, Foul mouthed, Long haired, Ear pierced, F*#got, Nicotene Teeth Stained, Missing 8 teeth (because I drink too much beer and never brush) bunch of Hillbillies!"

It's A sad world that we have turned into! I was dressed for success, and did clutter my body with ugly tatoo's or earings! I had respect for God and myself, unlike most of the clowns I see out there today!
This is CABL.com posting #110523. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mCUN
Posted in reply to: Re: Need info from (real) old timers by fasted289
There are 0 replies to this message