Create your free account now! Sign up

Companies...in general

Just some thoughts....I've got nothing better to do, no work. In the 23+ years I been in cable the common thread has been contractors who are slimebuckets who somehow keep getting contracts, screwing the subs and then running off to some other part of the country to get another contract.

Now I know there are a good percentage of the subs out there (at least in my area, installs and walkout) who do absolutly crap work. I have cleaned up work that is so jaw-dropping bad that I wonder what kind of person has the balls to bill for it. I've seen so-called walkout that isn't just motel mapping... it's absolutely MADE UP! So I can understand the back and forth between individuals on these forums.

What I have begun to wonder is why can't our "society of subs" somehow get together and let the MSO's know what is going on? I know that on the system level it's all about just getting the job done. In my last, and final, foray into installs I tried to get the inhouse guys at Comcast to understand that there was crap work being done due to undertraining and overscheduling...and a few thieves. All I got was "Yea, well, OK...." But I have to believe that on the corporate level there are a few people smart enoutgh to figure out that when the little guy is starving there are shortcuts being taken by even the better guys.

When satellite TV was starting in the mid 80's there were a bunch of little Sat Shop owners and manufacturers who had a few crummy conventions and it now is a strong national lobby. If Subs are going to survive in the CATV world there is going to have to be an organization of some kind. Imagine the impression if everybody took 3 days off  to go to a CATV sub's convention. Don't you think that big money, and big business would take notice? They would. I'm not suggesting a union...but rather a reporting body that would be a forum to expose the cheats, liers and thieves in this business.  Both contractors and subs.

Just thinking out loud...anyone else care to comment?

Realsurf

This is CABL.com posting #97460. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mzv6
There are 6 replies to this message
Re: Companies...in general KoolDaddy01 2/15/2003 1:20:00 AM
Re: Companies...in general PTSCREW 2/14/2003 7:34:00 PM
Re: Companies...in general CCSLLC 2/12/2003 9:34:00 PM
Re: Companies...in general the busdriver 2/12/2003 8:40:00 PM
Re: Companies...in general coaxedude 2/11/2003 11:35:00 PM
Re: Companies...in general dbgrace 2/11/2003 7:39:00 PM