Create your free account now! Sign up

modem install

You should be able to run a clean cable line to the modem,
Install a network card in the computer,reconfigure there settings in the computer to get online w/modem and set up
new e-mail acct,thats pretty much it. It should be a fairly
easy process ,some are easier than others.Remember that a lot of people have older slower computers that have so much crap loaded in them that they barely work before we get there. the minute you try to put a network card in them the computer goes bonkers .THATs NOT OUR FAULT. Ive walked away from jobs like that before, and just tell customer they willneed to fix they're puter before we can install It.
remember we are paid as cable techs not computer techs,
We cant spend all day reformatting someones computer to get
it go online. this is just my .02 cents Im sure others here
will have different opinion. Any way learn as much as you can about the different O/S's out there and good luck.
> I am interested in more info regarding modem installation. I have done a very few which were just a piece of cake, that is they were pretty much plug 'n play but the critical thing I wanna know is just how far into a machine is a contract installer expected to go? I have no problem with installing cards or adapters it's the software or operating system files that I get skittish about. I observed an installer hooking up RoadRunner to a machine and the Windows 98 system was apparently missing files that were needed for the modem to work properly. At what point is an installer expected to concede and walk away?
> Like I say, I've done a couple Powerlink installs (Adelphia) but the majority of the work in Central Fl is Time Warner.
> Any exp. or info would be appreciated
This is CABL.com posting #94884. Tiny Link: cabl.co/myQy
Posted in reply to: Question about modem installation by cableupgrade
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: modem install Fireman Joe 3/30/2003 9:02:00 PM