Create your free account now! Sign up

Seperation of Guilt

Dawgs,
Hooah! It's Monday, and i've had alot of coffee, and am writing my usual column based on your questions. This weeks topic "How to seperate the good from the bad" is a topic that isn't easily solved in a forum such as this. But, hopefully, I can shed a little light on a very perplexing subject.

I've seen posts back and forth on this matter on what we should do to the criminals (and yes, if you aren't paying someone for work done, you are a criminal) that don't shell out the hard earned cash. Some say "Beat them senseless", some say "Sue them", and some even say "Just let it go". So, which is the best method?
(Just a footnote, seeing that this is pretty much and open-ended topic, this article is going to be more opinion than fact, based upon personal experience) *end disclaimer*
The best advice I can give you dawgs is to cover yourself with paperwork from the get-go. What I mean by this, is when you go into a project, whether you are a sub, or an employee for a sub, cover yourself with a kind of "Contract". For example (we'll use joe blow, cuz you're all familiar with him!), Joe Blow gets a contract in St. Louis doing MDU's - Joe is a prime. Joe hires a sub, say Goofycom, and you go to work for them. Now, before you even think about doing your first fitting, you dawgs take a look at your application for employment. Does it mention ANYTHING about payment for services rendered, how you will be paid, when you will be paid, how often, by who? If not, then you need to go to your employer (with a good attitude) and request a simple "contract-like" document stating your pay arrangements. Here's the tricky part. You dawgs have to see to it that the "contract-like" document states specifically that you will be paid all fees due, barring any legitimate errors on your part. Now, once you've received this document, take it to a notary public to have it notarized. With these two simple steps, you have a document that will hold up in any court of law. However, this is where good work, as well as paperwork on the job is essential. Should, for some reason, an employer decide not to pay you due to sloppy work, it's up to you to either own up to it, or prove that your work is as magnificent as it can be.

And that brings me to my closing point - Always, dawgs, always cover your butt. Sooner or later, bad work will catch up to you. Always do good work... This is your livelihood, this is how you feed yourself, your wife or husband, your kids... Don't shortchange yourself or your family by doing shotty work. Take pride in what you do, and do it well. You may not beleive it, and i've said this before, but you guys provide one of THE most important services in the U.S. You keep kids off the streets when they can watch T.V., you increase america's economy with your work and by allowing commercials for products to be viewed... You educate america by allowing children to see the "Discovery" and "Learining" channels... Take pride in the business that you've chosen, and take pride in the work that you do, and everything else will fall into place.

Hope i've helped!
Your Friend,
Jim(ninja)

This is CABL.com posting #75159. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mtIp
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Seperation of Guilt (PROOF OF TOO MUCH COFFEE) Splicerchic 6/18/2002 11:09:00 AM
Re: Seperation of Guilt Petergunn 6/18/2002 8:19:00 AM
Re: Seperation of Guilt cablegus 6/17/2002 3:50:00 PM