Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Voltage on Center Conductor from House

You are correct, the voltage is on the shield, but most of the techs I find claiming it is on the center conductor are just simply testing it wrong. They are testing the shield versus the center conductor on the singla piece of coax, which will give you THE same results FOR ac whether its on the center conductor or the shield, you must test against the GROUND to determine where the voltage actually is. The obvious clue is that they say they are grounding the outlet before the splitter, since the center conductor never touches the GROUNDING part of a ground block, they are obviously grounding out the shield. I do not  know if the voltage on the shield can have the same effect on modems or not, I only know its dangerous and the subs problem and I leave it at that. First I have heard of using a power block most of the time I hear them say I just put a ground block on the outlet before the splitter and then I sigh and try to explain how bonding a shield to a ground is not going to take voltage off a center conductor, so if you are NOT veryifying what these techs are saying I would proceed with caution first off. They may just not know what they are doing or seeing. I wonder if a power block, blocks ac from just the center conductor or if it covers the shield too now though. hmm..
This is CABL.com posting #358797. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbFvd
Posted in reply to: Re: Voltage on Center Conductor from House by ewb240sx
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Voltage on Center Conductor from House ewb240sx 11/17/2013 10:59:17 PM