Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Im still digging drops

This has truly been an entertaining thread at the very least.  I have done drop work and mainline work.  In fact right now I oversee contractors doing both.  Which one is easier??  That debate is endless which is tougher.  Is it easier to dig 24" as opposed to 18", not really.  between 3 and 8" is easy diggin'.  The thing to consider is the property owner.  Mainline runs in the ROW or the easement in every case, there is no deviation.  There is no complaint the property owner can have that is valid when you are working in the county/city/municipality property. 
Now here is where the tough part of drops is.  Dealing with the everyday american asshole.  They are everywhere and unavoidable.  They want the services but don't want you working on their property to get it.  They are pretentious, upitty, and nearlly impossible to deal with.  I've seen contractors replace 250 foot driveways they didn't damage,  I've seen people get brand new $1000 plus mowers because they dented a blade on theirs due to a rock left in the yard.........and then get another $5000 a year later when they start to complain to our customer again.
   I've put services in from 6" to 48" of cover.  Every facility you can mention I have installed.  I can run any machine and put a pipe or a wire anywhere.  I even have gaffs and will climb.
 There is no difference in any of our jobs. They are all difficult and require a man that is willing to do what it takes to get it done.  Anything that is easier physically in this industry has it's own set of parameters that make it a mental or even a moral challenge.  Mostly swallowing your moral pride and biting your tongue when some customer is awarded something they don't deserve.
  When was the last time an aerial guy had to deal with a damage claim to an untangable dollar amount like say, a broken antique mower that was a yard decoration, or the replacement value of a 100+ year old tree that had some roots cut??
  I love this industry and every aspect of it.  I thought it was full of men, but there are some whiny bitches out there who should find another job.

This is CABL.com posting #289850. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbnza
Posted in reply to: Re: Im still digging drops by Nat Light
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Im still digging drops (drop placement) Menses 1/31/2010 1:03:51 PM
Re: Im still digging drops WeeWah 1/31/2010 11:26:46 AM
Re: Im still digging drops Nat Light 1/31/2010 10:07:55 AM