Create your free account now! Sign up

Bailout and Bonuses

I have a question for you all.

Should any bank that accepted bailout money be aloud to give bonuses to its executives, even if they have repaid the bailout funds?

When I first heard that banks were doing this I was saying no they shouldn't be aloud to do that. But then I got to thinking that to disallow them to do so would mean that the government could apply this to any company that accept any government money would it not?

I could understand that if the bank or company still owes part or all of bailout or other money to the government then bonuses should not be given because the company is still not solvent.

But if they have repaid the funds then isn't it their business how their profits are spent?

If you or I owned a company that was failing and the government stepped in and gave us funding that aloud us to regroup and turn around become profitable again, and we repaid the debt in full would not our obligation to the government be over with?

Would it not be up to the company's board of directors how the profits are used?

I understand that the banks and other financial instations were involved in shady business practices both in this country and around the world. But in most cases they were still operating under the law.

I am not saying that they are not partly responsible for what happened, I am not here to debate that.

What I am asking is, Does the government have the right to tell a privet company how much it can or can not pay its employees or how it rewards employees that have out preformed others just because it at one time accepted government funding?
If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking.
This is CABL.com posting #289048. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbnme
There are 6 replies to this message
Re: Bailout and Bonuses Toast 1/25/2010 6:40:44 AM
Re: Bailout and Bonuses sab3r 1/24/2010 6:53:28 PM
Re: Bailout and Bonuses RadioMan 1/24/2010 5:35:26 PM
Re: Bailout and Bonuses matt reedy 1/24/2010 2:43:50 PM
Re: Bailout and Bonuses drifterdawg 1/24/2010 1:41:22 PM
Re: Bailout and Bonuses Lightmaster 1/24/2010 12:03:47 PM