Create your free account now! Sign up

What happened to ethical companies?

So where I live ...work is extremely slow.  I decide to take action and gear up and head out of town to make a little dough.  I call up a friend of mine who is also out of work and take him along on an eight hour drive to Mississippi.  Before hand I called Foster Cable after seeing a posting for a contractor and let him know before hand that I would come out for two weeks and work.  I let Foster Cable know that it was temporary...which really goes without saying since I and my work partner both have families not anywhere close to Mississippi. 

We spend plenty of money driving to Miss. and setting up in a motel.  We work for two weeks and do incredible work.  We reworked every drop, mounted new house boxes and replaced almost every outlet.  Our work came right out of the NCTI book. One night we worked from 8am-1am the next day and then back up hours later to do it again.

When our two weeks are almost up we remind Foster Cable that we are leaving soon...and they act like they had never heard of such.  They were irritated.  We went home to see our families and waited on a check.  And waited.  And waited.  A small one came for just a couple of days work.  We waited and waited and waited more time.  I called and asked "where is our money?"  and was responded with "you signed a contract with us that states that without a seven day written notice all earned monies would be forfeited". 

Of course I signed a ten page contract laying out all sorts of silliness.  I just drove eight hours and prepaid a weeks motel stay.  I suppose unless I wanted to leave with less money in my bank than when I started I would have to sign...but I also hoped that Foster Cable would be ethical.  The bottom line is my family was expecting a little money in the bank and so was my work partners family.  We left them for two weeks and hit the road to do the right thing...to put food on the table and presents under the tree and now Foster cable is telling us that we will have to wait up to 6o days to get any money if they give it to us at all.  What do we tell our children?  How do we explain to them why they don't get to have Christmas this year?

It sucks that companies can take money hostage knowing that us subs have little we can do.  I just wish that Foster and others like Foster would think outside their own small bank accounts and realize that by keeping hard earned money from people who justly earned it...they are making the lives of those people and their families very difficult.
This is CABL.com posting #283218. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mblQc
There are 9 replies to this message
Re: What happened to ethical companies? Quality Cable 12/13/2009 11:25:01 AM
Re: What happened to ethical companies? sweatforhire 12/12/2009 3:11:31 PM
Re: What happened to ethical companies? CrazyIvan 12/12/2009 12:01:31 AM
Re: What happened to ethical companies? Jade Telecom LLC 12/9/2009 12:59:37 PM
Re: What happened to ethical companies? turabahamut 12/8/2009 9:59:05 PM
Re: What happened to ethical companies? islandcable 12/8/2009 9:02:20 PM
Re: What happened to ethical companies? matt reedy 12/8/2009 11:02:46 AM
Re: What happened to ethical companies? Splicer Life 4me 12/8/2009 8:14:02 AM
Re: What happened to ethical companies? Bkable 12/8/2009 12:45:02 AM