Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: There is a way to change things - for everyone

I know you and many others have spoken along these lines before. But I though it worth addressing again. Your points are valid bushmaster, but I hope they could be overcome.

I have contracted directly with several MSO's over the years. In many cases, all the requirements, including insurance, that the MSO imposes are already being met by the independent subs. The requirements are pretty simple and basic. In many cases, in smaller systems, the subcontractor is simply giving the Prime half the money earned (or more) for simply receiving a check from the MSO and then re-cutting a check under their name, lol. Everything else is being done by the subcontractor. I suppose one could call it a finders fee, but 50% of all moneys perpetually generated, is a hell of a finders fee. And many of the MSO's already break down the contractor invoices to the individual techs for their own tracking purposes, so it would pretty much just be a matter of cutting more checks. Hardly an inconvenience I would think, compared to all of the benefits that would be gained.

I understand the chargeback issue, you're preaching to the choir on that, lol. However, not all MSO's, and not even all of regions or divisions within the same MSO have a "screw the tech" mentality. Only the one's being ran by people with short term thinking do. Unfortunately, there are way too many of those.

I'm not to sure about the litigation thing. When you deal with business in a more personal manner, you eliminate 99% of that. A fair contract is something that both sides can adopt and work from. A distant, "unimportant subcontractor", is far more likely to feel the need to escalate a perceived unfair situation into a legal matter, IMO.

We do know things are broke, as they currently stand. I guess it's a matter of .... does the MSO want to see unions heavily infiltrate the installers, the ranks of which are rapidly becoming W2 employees, and thus ripe to be unionized. Or would they prefer to deal with professional independent contractors.
This is CABL.com posting #275792. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbjUq
Posted in reply to: Re: There is a way to change things - for everyone by bushmaster
There is 1 reply to this message