Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Man sues RCN for ‘abuse’ of contract workers

Yeah but we know that Home Depot contractors must pull permits for almost all the work for major jobs.  Customers demand more and expect more. Installing cable is like getting the water turned on these days as far as a service.  Cable, Sat on the other hand is a stick and move type of process.

The State never knows where the sub of a sub is going to be.  Thats why its lasted so long and even though we have read on here on all the bashing of Primes, Ive only read of this guy going againist all odds to do what he feels is right.  We all have felt this way at one point.  I know I have. We know were treated like employees, wear the uniforms, report to a supervisor "lead" now its called. but the money is good "great as times".   You get the feeling as if "Im my own company I can do what ever I want". But when you get up to start your day, you realize ive got rules to follow and they are not yours. Most if not all go to work get there route do a good job and go home.  But its when the Prime and its lower managment in the ground and treat everyone like Sh_@t.  Thats when you get these types things happening who wont take it and stand up for what they think is the right thing.  I agree and commend this guy.  Something must have happened, a lead, supervisor or manager must have really over stepped his or her bounds to push this guy over the edge.  

Its the shady ruthless primes that are to blame for the industry. I read on the Sat postings, I have had my chance to install Sat but after reading so much Id rather not. Ive went on Strom Damage and got screwed.  You live and learn. 

For a business model for Primes as much as you guys bash Mastec ive heard nothing but good things in my local market. They are Direct Tv's life blood in my area.  You dont see any ad's for other Sat installers within a 50 mile raidus.  I was at a freinds house today and had the chance to speak one ofthe Mastec guys while he was swapping a DVR.  Hes happy X-cable guy gone inhouse. Been with them for 5 years. Not bad. 

So whats stopping anyone else from getting a labor attorney to go after there prime? From reading all the postings and lawsuits etc.  I see this is where the industry is heading for Cable that is. 

Maybe this might throw someone over the edge..... Read My Story....

I left to have a career with the MSO after the managment changed, time to think long term.  I was told by the MSO's managment to apply, sent a link to apply still have it.  Skipped the HR Department which normally stop's any of the Primes subs right away 'unwritten rule between MSO and Prime not to hire and subs of theres". I learned this unwritten rule when applied 3 years ago with 4yrs exp, moslty supervisor triple play exper for a installer at that time.

It was only after the department head wanted to know where my resume was and if I sent one in I provided a confirmation email I received from them that I applied, then I got a call from HR to book a interview. Funny Huh? Like my resume with above and beyond quailifications got put off to the side.

My interview was almost 2 1/2 hrs.  It was great I got to see some of the old people I worked with over the years, that were at one time a sub, I quote "Its about time you come to your sences" "Why havent you applied sooner".  Got the grand tour, met the big cheese, all of which were glad I applied and want me to start work ASAP.  Everyone I spoke with heard and knew my reputation as a hard wI was hand delivered to the HR department for a BackGround and sent for a Drug test ASAP.  Keep in mind I skipped the HR department step and went straight to the top. I worked hand in hand with the inhouse installers for over a year.  Had high recommendations from othe MSO employees ive worked with over the years.  Over the next few weeks I heard from the guys I worked with at the MSO on a daily basis, you got the job there waiting on HR to make the offer its just paper work now..etc.  As longas the drug test and BG come out good your in. I was happy and ready to start a new career, glad I made good choice. Well those weeks turned in a few months. 

Key Note:

My wife happens to work with a certain person thats dating someone high at the Prime i sub-ed for, well it turns out ive been called everyname in the book, how im doing this that to effect business relationships with the MSO. Blah Blah Blah. 

My last meeting with him was almost two years ago on some issues that involved his management stealing and heavey drug use. Which of course nothing was done. So wheres this info comming from? Do I know something that they dont want the MSO to know? I think so. Ive been witness alot of illegal activity, they even tried to get a MSO manager fired to get more work out of they for something that didnt even happen. Been witness to massive drug deals in there parking lots over the years. When I was a sup/lead I had a Sexual Pred techin in my area. Been

If you guessed I did not get the job at the MSO. F-ed up isnt it.

It doesnt stop there.  I have contact the other primes in my area. 

1st  Prime - Knowing the key people withing the Prime - "We cant risk hiring you right now" They have a ad looking for new techs. Maybe later "WTF"
2nd I Prime - Personal know a trainer of new techs. Its a drive but its work right "Well I think someone called over here and said something, she knew your name" WTF

This happens all the time in out industry. Mostly for the techs who steal, lie, are heavy drug users. Im not of the above.

Out of the 7 years, 4 1/2 were as lead, handled the day to operations of a branch office at one point, trained half the work force at one point on VoIP, trained Service Techs, the go to guy to handle complex problems/customers.

Whats your take on this.  Keeping a hard working family man from working.
This is CABL.com posting #269967. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbiot
Posted in reply to: Re: Man sues RCN for ‘abuse’ of contract workers by superchop7
There are 3 replies to this message