Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Health Care In America

Well Bank as that is a respectable Opinion from a Doctor we have to look at the rising cost of what it cost just to go to the ER even if your not staying. Four hours in the ER can cost anywhere to $5000 and up and that is crazy when people sit in a ER for hours on in before they are seen. I understand this plan has a lot of holes in it and i don't work as hard as i do to have the Gov force me on Medicare or Medicad, But there should be some over site as to how much people are charged Now i hear there stories about if this plan goes in affect the the Gov will determine the Life of our Loved one's But isn't that what HMO's are doing everyday ?? Doctors who provide sub-standard care can be sued for medicalmalpractice. However, HMOs (health maintenance organizations) who tell the doctors what they can and cannot do are shielded from medical malpractice lawsuits. Many believe that this practice, which has been a source of controversy for years, is unfair to patients.

Attempts for change

In the past, doctors were primarily in control of what a patient needed. Unfortunately, as most of us are painfully aware, HMO shave taken over much of the decision making process when it comes to approving or denying doctor-recommended procedures. However, according to the U.S. Supreme Court’s 2004 ruling in a case called Aetna Health Inc. v. Davila (542 U.S. 200 (2004),individuals are prohibited from suing their HMOs in state court (where better remedies are available) when they refuse to provide a recommended treatment.

Although Congress has sought to change this, it has had little success. Several bills have been introduced, but Republicans and Democrats have very different ideas about what should be allowed – and so far, haven’t come to a meeting of the minds.

Is it fair?

Many don’t think so. They say that if the ultimate decision to deny coverage rests with the HMO – and that decision turns out to be wrong and causes injury or death – then why wouldn’t they ultimately be liable for damages? The recent case of the 17 year old California girl has refueled the debate. In November 2007, a California teenager with leukemia received a bone marrow transplant from her brother. However,something went wrong and the girl went into a coma.

Doctors recommended an immediate liver transplant. However, Cigna Healthcare, her insurance company, initially refused to cover it because it was an“experimental” treatment. Her doctors and nurses pled with Cigna to reconsider and many people rallied outside of one of Cigna’s California offices. While the insurer finally agreed, it did so too late. The girl died a few days before Christmas. Her family says that Cigna is ultimately responsible for her death and plans to sue. Many believe that this case takes the issue a bit farther as Cigna’s decision had dire consequences.

The laws that apply to HMOs, doctors and hospitals are very complex and often overlap. Now from what i see people would rather the HMO deny covarage the the Gov. If you have insurance then there should not be any denial of covrage as they don't deny to take your money for the Payments. In my Opinion if they want to Over haul health care they need to Over haul the Sky Rocketing Prices and the HMO's that want to deny to Pay the doctors for Need Care 

This is CABL.com posting #264448. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbgXs
Posted in reply to: Re: Health Care In America by bank
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Health Care In America bank 8/8/2009 7:21:03 PM
Re: Health Care In America JD42596 8/8/2009 6:08:00 PM
Re: Health Care In America MCT-40 8/8/2009 5:43:22 PM