Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Smoker's Beware

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the tobacco lawsuit settlement a few years back supposed to pay for smokers medicare/medicaid costs. It was billions of dollars. Most of the states took the money and just like social security, instead of putting it in a trust fund, they spent it. Now they want to bitch that they need more money. When does it end?

Before you answer the question of sin taxes, ask yourself this. When you sit down and add up ALL of the taxes you have to pay ( ie income,sales, property, vehicle, licence, business privillege) all of them, how much of your money do you get to spend as opposed to how much you have to send to the various government agencies. It is well over half of most peoples check. And now look at what you get for that money. If we ran our own companies like the government does, we would all be out of business in hours.

Before you go and start to believe we should allow them to tax tobacco again, ask yourself where does it end? Will they actually use the money for what it is supposed to be for or for everything else under the sun and then come back again crying poor mouth? If stopping people from smoking was the only goal of the politicians, they could outlaw tobacco tomorrow. They words that spew from the politicians mouths is garbage. The want more money to spend, nothing more nothing less. In my humble opinion, it is time for the pols to put up or shut up about this. If it is SOOOOO bad, end tobacco sales, otherwise, keep your hand out of my pockets.

And no, I dont smoke. But we need as US citizens retake control of our government and hold them accountable for their actions before the destroy this whole country for their own greed and lust for power.
This is CABL.com posting #247025. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbcqr
Posted in reply to: Re: Smoker's Beware by lookinatmyfeet
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Smoker's Beware lookinatmyfeet 3/15/2009 8:51:47 PM
Re: Smoker's Beware C.HAROLD 3/15/2009 8:13:45 PM