Create your free account now! Sign up

Ladder Safety and thanks Paul J!

A few years back I had a cable trainer Paul Johnson that rolled out to one of my jobs. I had my ladder fully extended and I was up 36" strapped off of course. Paul was an old Telephony tech and he taught me how to tie my ladder to the base of the pole that day.

Well 8 years later I want to thank him. I was working in a non-plowed alley literary 2 blocks away from where he rolled out on me that one day. I must say from the get go I didn't like the fact that I was on top of slippery snow with a light ice build up underneath or that my ladder had no V-rung for the pole. As I went for my strap and hard hat I took another look at the ladder and thought about my wife and kids and how 29 bucks for a reco is crazy. I decided to use what Paul had taught me that spring day. I tide my ladder off to the base of the pole.

I went up the ladder and soon found myself 6 inches from the power that lights the alley light on the pole. I strapped in and tilted my head as to stay away from the power line. While I was changing a fittings a quick jerk from my strippers and I taped my head on the lines nothing happened except the ladder slipped about an inch. My heart pounded and I thought I can not have this happen on Valentine's day. And even though I knew I was safely tied off at the top I still got a chill up my spine. 

So to you old man Paul Johnson telephony guy I want to say thanks for the tip and may God bless you!

To all the new techs out their if you don't know how to tie the ladder at the base of the pole I would recommend you ask someone. I know this is a Macho job and many people love to tweet their own horn but at the end of the night the only people that truly care if you make it back is your loved ones.

RAGEo2
This is CABL.com posting #243401. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mbbtZ
There are 4 replies to this message
Re: Ladder Safety and thanks Paul J! High Splicer 2/18/2009 8:27:41 PM
Re: Ladder Safety and thanks Paul J! sab3r 2/15/2009 2:24:31 PM
Re: Ladder Safety and thanks Paul J! mofo 2/15/2009 10:58:20 AM
Re: Ladder Safety and thanks Paul J! linegramps 2/15/2009 8:16:56 AM