Create your free account now! Sign up

Impact of H.R.6111

H.R.6111 - "The Employee Misclassification Prevention Act"

Let's see if we can dispell any myths or misunderstandings about this bill working it's way through Washington DC.

#1 - This bill is NOT going to do away with a sub-contracting businsess relationship.

#2 - The bill will force the Dept. of Labor- Hour & Wage Div. to share it's audit findings with the IRS, INS, or any other sister agency should there be discrepancies in Social Security numbers or legality/hireablility of a person when a company is audited for whatever reason by the DoL-H&W.

#3 - The bill's goals are to educate new hires on thier status as an employee or sub-contractor so there is no confusion on who is responsible for what as it pertains to compensation and taxes.

#4 - A secondary goal of the bill is to have business owners educate themselves on current labor laws so they can take steps to correct errors in thier company's labor policies before an audit is triggered.

This is a bill that will effect all states nationwide. There are some states that already have state laws with these provisions in effect already. Nevada is one of them that I know of. I suspect California is there too as well.

The bill is also covering ALL labor industries. Trucking, Housekeeping, Ironworkers ......EVERYONE and ANYONE that is in an industry that uses both employees and sub-contractors. In today's day-and-age .. that's just about every type of industry out there.

Should H.R.6111 pass and become Law, it's not going to be like a "light-switch" and everything becomes better overnight. It's going to take some time for businesses to educate thier Human Resource Departments on what to do and when to have them completed by. It will be change for the better for those that are getting hosed out there, but give it time.

In my next post below this one, I'll try to use a real world cable sceanario to help show the bill's potential impact to the working man.
This is CABL.com posting #220714. Tiny Link: cabl.co/m5z4
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Impact of H.R.6111 RadioMan 6/17/2008 6:21:00 AM
Re: Impact of H.R.6111 RadioMan 6/17/2008 6:12:00 AM