Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Impact of H.R.6111

Ok .... I just got hired on as a sub-contractor with XYZ Communications. I use my own truck, pay my own insurance on my truck. I pay for all my own maintaince and gas to run my truck. I use all my own tools and ladders.

XYZ Communications gives me 6 of it's company shirts with XYZ logo's on it that I have to wear. They said that I don't need to provide "Liability Insurance" because I'm covered under the XYZ liability umbrella. XYZ is also covering my Unemployment and Disability Insurance as well. Great .... no money out of my pocket.

I have to show up at XYZ Warehouse at 7am each morning Monday thru Saturday (Sunday Off). When i get there each morning, I pick up my jobs for the day (could be any number of daily jobs from 4 to as many as 8), pick up installation supplies, and pick up my converters for the day. I am not charged for the supplies, but i do have to sign paperwork for the converters taking financial responsibility for each of them. XYZ dispatchers direct me on when to take my lunch.

Sometimes when I finish all my installs for the day, it's still early (3pm) and i want to go home. Dispatch tells me that one of the other installers has fallen behind and that I'm being assigned 2 of his jobs. I collect the information on those jobs and go knock them out. Then I get to go home for the day.

I am paid piece-rate for each install. Pay is 1099 with no Government deductions. I have a CPA that does all my taxes for me and tells me what to pay. I am subject to all back charges for the work I complete that XYZ or the MSO finds sub-standard. I can dispute the back-charge, but rarely does the dispute ever come back in my favor.

If the above working relationship sounds familiar, you are not alone.

The above working relationship is that of an EMPLOYEE and not a sub-contractor. The worker is getting financially hosed.
This is CABL.com posting #220715. Tiny Link: cabl.co/m5z5
Posted in reply to: Impact of H.R.6111 by RadioMan
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Impact of H.R.6111 blur 6/17/2008 10:00:00 PM
Re: Impact of H.R.6111 matt reedy 6/17/2008 8:18:00 AM