Create your free account now! Sign up

Need Advice On Sweep/Also Sweep Points

Me and my other fellow techs have a dilemma. For example I might sweep a node every once in a great while totally, and when I would chase mainline issues, but one thing that has bothered me and others, for quite some time is, no one has every wanted to sit down with us, and really concentrate to explain the sweep process out to us in GREAT detail to fully understand.

For example, we have one guy here who seems to be in the office, or at the headend, getting in all of this knowledge, a good part of the day at times,and never really uses it while we suffer out in the field wanting to know the same stuff, but we get shoved out by our supervisor, to do our daily duties so we can't learn anything, because no one wants to explain anything to us. It is like he wants the knowledge for ONLY himself, like he does. So as you can see, there is obviously some jealousy or unfair practices going on here.

So for one what exactly is sweepless sweep? What is it good for verses what we do? I take a reference at the node, or at an amp for example and just go at it, tap to tap, etc. Then chase problems accordingly. Problem is what are the best ways you guys have found chasing sweep issues. Are pin to f connectors good for hitting seizure screws, for example at amp locations? Or would a different type of probe be better? We are getting new Motorola 1 Gig right now. Another question is what is a good way to try to see if your reflection is after the amp on a leg? I would think pulling just a pad would not work, because that leg then is not terminated, or am I wrong on this. How could you reliably chase something like that easily?

Lastly, we are upgrading from 750 gear to 1 Gig gear, and the sweep contractor guys are going to be sweeping out to 865 mgz. Problem is our last actual channel we used for sweep was 777 MHz/channel 121. No problem sweeping to 777.00 MHz. Now I guess they added what they call a sweep point at 865 MHz, and now we have spikes right at, or close to 865 MHz, constantly going up and down. From what I heard, since we have no actual channels in between 777 and 865 MHz, the sweep transmitter, if I am taking this right is trying to compare the response of the channels, that are not really there, and that is what is causing these surge spikes I will call it at 865 MHz. The sweep contractor that has been working out in the node can't really truly sweep, because he has this to constantly look at, and he wants to really be able to see any problems that are out there. Is there any actual fix for this spiking problem on the sweep, and why would having no channels in this area cause this to happen? They were going to just move the sweep point out to 991 MHz I guess and try that, so they could see the spectrum, without the spiking effect they currently see. Can anyone explain this process to me, so I could have a better understanding of what is actually going on, and maybe I could actually be of help for them? Last I heard they were waiting a call from JDSU on this, and never got a call back. I am an eager learner. Just wish someone would clue us in for a change. Thanks in advance guys, you really seem to know your stuff!
This is CABL.com posting #204923. Tiny Link: cabl.co/m1tn
There are 6 replies to this message
Re: Need Advice On Sweep/Also Sweep Points SweepDH 12/8/2007 7:51:00 PM
Re: Need Advice On Sweep/Also Sweep Points elitor8 12/8/2007 3:28:00 PM
Re: Need Advice On Sweep/Also Sweep Points 1tripp 12/8/2007 3:08:00 PM
Re: Need Advice On Sweep/Also Sweep Points 1tripp 12/8/2007 3:04:00 PM
Re: Need Advice On Sweep/Also Sweep Points Cable/Gypsy 12/7/2007 8:26:00 PM
Re: Need Advice On Sweep/Also Sweep Points cablepro222000 12/7/2007 12:10:00 PM