Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Proper Output Levels At Tap

I don't work on the plant at all, just a peon drop tech. I didn't check other peds. I just knew this one was too low and that falls back to PM. It's outside my scope to determine the cause of plant breakdown. That's best left to the guys who are trained on plant maintenance. However, I'll probably go back there and check adjacent taps just to validate my point.

As I said, I didn't check adjacent taps. I wish I had.
3. what are the levels on the out put of the active feeding the run?
I don't know what levels are at actives because I can't work on the plant, just drop.

I hear what you're saying. I did check multiple ports on the tap in that ped. I'm also pretty anal about connector quality and splicing. That said, I make sure the stingers line up with the hole instead of just slamming it in. I give credit to my excellent visual acuity under the 4 foot range. I find overlooked braids all the time.

It's an easy problem to find but it takes more time than they will give an installer, so your boss was right put a bandaid on it write it up and let the tech deal with it, unless you get paid for trouble shooting feeder problems.

That's one of my lamentations about cable. The lack of sufficient time and compensation to do a service call. On average, I make less per hour than most techs at my shop when doing service calls because of the time I spend on them. Consequently, I also have one of the top FCRs (first call resolutons) in my shop. I make better money than them on installs because I don't get hung up on weird issues.

The thing is, I put the bandaid on, but only because I couldn't get them to go with the proper resolution and refer it to plant maintenance. PM will never hear about this because my boss refuses to believe a PM issue exists. This is one of the reasons more dishes are going up, because COX and its subs would rather put their fingers in their ears than actually deal with maintenance issues.

I think the only thing that's gonna save COX in the long run is a DOCSIS 3.0 compatible MTA. If they could get an MTA to run data AND telephony here.
This is CABL.com posting #194743. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mYPb
Posted in reply to: Re: Proper Output Levels At Tap by johnmc3
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Proper Output Levels At Tap mdefrates 7/21/2007 3:07:00 AM
Re: Proper Output Levels At Tap bucketbaby 7/20/2007 6:03:00 AM