Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: I'm feeling unappreciated :(

Brandar,

As vegassatellite has stated already .....

Providing a "perk" of free or discounted cable service to a contractor violates most state laws when it comes to "Co-Employment".

The MSO cannot, must not, and will not allow any form of benefit to be shown to a contractor for fear of being accused of co-employment.

Example:

IF .... the MSO was to give you free or discounted services, technically and theoretically, you could then argue in court that you are an being provided a benefit and are now able to demand ALL benefits provided to any inhouse employee. You could demand, and probably would be awarded, any health, medical, dental, 401K, or any other "perk" that inhouse has.

Co-Employment ....... nasty situation for all, and one liability that an MSO will not open themselves up to.

As a "perk" for you though .... An MSO employee cannot tell you how to run your business either. They can "Suggest", "Recommend", "Strongly implore you", or any other euphemism to pressure you into compliance. They CANNOT outright directly tell you, the tech, that you MUST do something.

Get with your employer to learn more about co-employment issues if you really want the skinny on it.
This is CABL.com posting #189470. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mXr8
Posted in reply to: I'm feeling unappreciated :( by brandar
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: I'm feeling unappreciated :( Trey9007 4/27/2007 10:37:00 PM
Re: I'm feeling unappreciated :( Trey9007 4/27/2007 10:25:00 PM
Re: I'm feeling unappreciated :( TDD1 4/26/2007 8:07:00 PM