Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Sumahit and I were talking.......

HMmmm. Let me see. For a CATV tech who is responsibe from the tap to the house, I would say an employee should top out at $24.50/hr. Im using cost of living for Chicago, so adjust this amount for where ever you live.

Why?

1. CATV installs arent just video any longer. These installs actually require craftmanship to be done correctly. So this rate is for companies who want it done correctly all the time. This is a skill. It doesnt mean you have to be a scientist to perform this work. But it does take skill to perform this work safely and on par with industry and electrical standards.

2. Responsibility. Techs enter customer's homes. They have the responibility to be respectful to customer's property as well as the property of the company they work for. Techs a required to keep a valid DL and a clean driving record. They are responsible for keeping the company's vehicle and tools out of harms way. They

Customer service. Techs have close dealings with the sub. The experience the sub has with a technician plays a huge role in whether the sub stays a customer. In this new world of competition, technicians having good customer service skills is essential to the success of a company.

Before CATV cam along, companies in the telco world took it very serious when deciding who they will allow to represent them and enter a customers home. Telecom was set up where workers were highly trained and skilled in all aspect before they were allowed to enter a customers home. Bell employees can actual get a write up if they dump trash in a customer's trash can outside.

Then comes the CATV way of business. The CATV way of business has dropped the standards and the pay average in the telecom world. CATV's little cousin satellite is following suite. CATV pricing is WAY out of wack with the rest of the telecom world.
This is CABL.com posting #185974. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mWxK
Posted in reply to: Re: Sumahit and I were talking....... by nrb1
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Sumahit and I were talking....... Trey9007 2/24/2007 11:35:00 AM
Re: Sumahit and I were talking....... Trey9007 2/24/2007 10:24:00 AM