Create your free account now! Sign up

Help me out...

Dear Abby,

Okay, so you've given a detailed explanation of the scope of work to all the sub contractors. All the dirty details, what you can bill for, what you can't bill for. You've even gone to the trouble to outline just exactly what the MSO is going to look for during QC inspections.
You've done this over and over. You're experienced in the field, not just a desk jockey that somehow got elevated to a position.
You know what it's like doing installs, dealing with subs, dealing with time frames etc. You know that you can personally go out and still perform the work better than most or else you wouldn't be in the position of supervisor.

Knowing all of the above and having given adequate notice to all the subcontractors, all of 'em, the ones doing good work, the ones doing substandard work. Knowing that your company is under the gun to reduce QC and time frame failure rates. Knowing that most of the guys working for you are grown men capable of doing the assigned work but just dont seem to want to put forth the effort...

How friends, how do you get them to comply?

Backcharge? Reduce the work to the offenders? Terminate their contracts?

It's a real problem to hire on new people with all the legal nonsense involved these days, corp fee's, lisence, liability and work comp. Hard to attract new talent, hard to keep old talent interested.

I know there's a bunch of you guys that have been in this industry for several years. I know things have changed especially in the last ten years. When I started, there weren't even pagers to contact you, now we've got TOA and Nextel and so on.

So, I guess the question is, how much crap should a Prime take from a sub contractor that refuses to do his work properly and on time? It's a dog eat dog market these days. I know prices aren't all that great but still, where else can a non high school grad work and make in excess of $40K (after expenses) or more a year?

Food for thought over the weekend.

How do I get 'em in line?

This is CABL.com posting #177571. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mUmd
There are 4 replies to this message
Re: Help me out... TDD1 10/23/2006 1:52:00 AM
Re: Help me out... cabledog 10/21/2006 3:11:00 AM
Re: Help me out... sumahit 10/21/2006 2:11:00 AM
Re: Help me out... jimcarrey 10/21/2006 1:28:00 AM