Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: illegal

Wife, I wasn't trying to argue with you, just trying to make the distinction as to what a legal immigrant is and is not entitled to when they come here. I knew you were referring to illegals, but the way you posted it, it could have been mistaken as being about all immigrants.
Don't get me wrong I do not think that illegals are entitled to anything in this country. But I do think that the relatives of a legal immigrant should be allowed an easier process of immigrantion than someone who does not already have family here.
With all the recent uproar over the immigrantion issue it is very easy for people to misdirect their hostilities towards people who are here legally (my wife for instance). She has been the target of undeserved hostility and racial comments just because she is Hispanic. People just automatically assume that because she is Hispanic that she must be an illegal immigrant from Mexico. I just wish that everyone could experience discrimination through an immigrants eyes for at least one day. Eventhough I am married to a legal immigrant and I get to hear what ugly hateful things some people have said to her, I still have not really experienced it for myself as she has. What is amazing is that when I go to her home country, everyone welcomes me like I am a long lost relative, but yet when her relatives come here to visit us, they are looked down upon by many Americans as if they are something less than human.
Just as a side note, my wife's relatives are not some third world backwoods dirt farmers, they are two doctors (surgeons to be exact), a bank president, a veternarian, several executives and even a fashion model. But regardless of their stature in their country they are looked down upon in our's.
This is CABL.com posting #177000. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mUc0
Posted in reply to: Re: illegal by Wife of a cable guy
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: illegal Wife of a cable guy 10/10/2006 6:33:00 PM