Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: When the levees broke on HBO

Many of the people there could not leave because they did not have the resources.....cars, money, some in poor health, handicapped, I could go on and on. I agree, it is between the haves and have nots. If you are a home owner, it is your responsibility to have proper insurance, do repairs, rebuild, etc. If you buy a home in a flood hazard area, you need additional insurance to cover it. In California we have earthquakes, in the Midwest...tornado's. You take a risk wherever you are, you should take that into account when purchasing a home. Those who rent unfortunately have nothing coming to them by law. It would be very difficult to recover for them in the same area. If you are poor and loose everything, what do you have to sell so you can get the cash to get a new place (first, last, security, etc.). Its a catch 22. Think about people who don't even have family or friends to stay with. I personally would take any work I could find and try to recover as quickly as possible and some people are lazy for not at least trying on their own. Other people like the elderly and disabled really cant do anything. Those people do need some sort of a leg up, others, should take matters into their own hands. I agree, it is not a race issue, it is an individual case by case issue and we can not categorize people, based on footage we see on TV. That is ignorant, people should try to think a little deeper. I can see both sides, but don't think everyone that was effected is lazy....that is extremely racist and ignorant.
This is CABL.com posting #175298. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mTLy
Posted in reply to: Re: When the levees broke on HBO by IslandCableDog
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: When the levees broke on HBO 1putthood 9/9/2006 11:34:00 PM