Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Can anyone interpret cablemodem error logs?

I want to thank everyone for their help on this matter. The outlet serving the modem is new RG6 3Ghz swept UL listed. I didn't wallplate the outlet so I could have fewer barrel splices. The outlet homeruns back to the demarc, where I have an amp installed. The houseamp is 2-way and is one I had back from my COX LV days. The levels were better with it than without it. The outlet runs directly into the 2-port amp. Upstream of that is a groundblock that is properly grounded (Bonded with #10 to house groundrod). The underground lat is new as well. This is a new house but the tech couldn't locate the builder installed lat so a new one was called out and installed. It is orange burial grade, I made sure of that. I don't have system keys so I can't check the tap to see what type it is or or its face value.

Basically, it is all new coax and connectors through the entire drop. I have excellent visually acuity in the <4 foot range and so have never braided out a conductor in my life. I am also cautious in how I prep fittings, I don't use the strippers to pull off the jacket and dielectric, I do that with my fingers. My strippers are also adjusted not to score the center conductor. In fact, they don't even cut the last minute amount of dielectric. I have to twist it with my hand when pulling the jacket off. I consider myself very anal about preserving signal integrity.

I have tried my setup without the amp and without video services. I did without video for two days while I had my cablemodem homerun to the groundblock with no splitters for video.

There are some issues with this CM in that it is a retail unit. I found out through an online search that Comcast had to do some changes on their end to accomodate my modem. They did that when I called and asked them to, and it was relatively stable for awhile. Of course, I work 60+ hours a week and my wife says it hasn't ever really been stable for her, to the point that she doesn't even bother during the day. The system seemed more stable at night, but recently it started acting up worse.

I have since put a Comcast provided cablemodem on to test the service with a different modem. However, I suspect they are shorting me on throughput as I was getting 6600kbps with the Linksys and I'm only getting 1560kbps with this one. I do subscribe to 6 meg service.
This is CABL.com posting #173731. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mTmh
Posted in reply to: Can anyone interpret cablemodem error logs? by vegassatellite
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: Can anyone interpret cablemodem error logs? x Greasemonkey 8/11/2006 6:07:00 AM