Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Something to consider

Let me get this straight Storm, you would prefer to work with a new batch of $10 per hour FNG's every other month, who in two short weeks graduated from the Micky D's drive through to installing satellite or cable systems to working with a certified professional installer? That just doesn't make sense, unless of course you wouldn't actually be working with any of these FNG's because you don't actually do any work outside of the office like most of the folks who come here whining about the possibility of a union for the workers.
These office folks never come here to join in on the union discussion and actually offer anything of value, they only come here to try and shout down the pro-union people with lies and misrepresentations (i.e. comparing a union auto worker or a unionized factory assembly worker and their unions to a state certified journeyman and a skilled trade union, that's like comparing apples to watermelons).
Now that said, maybe you are right about the UAW. Why if it weren't for the high wages of the UAW workers the major three could pay the workers as little as they do those in their factories in Mexico. I wonder why the Mexican built Chevys or Fords aren't any lower in price than the American built ones. Is the union really the cause of factories moving to Mexico? My question is this, if the American workers take less pay would the price of goods drop? Or would the companies just be able to make more profit? And how long would they make that extra profit seeing how their customer base could no longer afford to buy the products because they were working for a reduced wage?
A lot of the anti-union posters say, "I don't need a union to negotiate for me, I can do that for myself." Well that is fine if you are able to get what you want & need to operate, but it seems the new trend in contracting is, "this is what we are offering, take it or leave it"? You can only walk away from so many jobs before you have to start taking the lower rates being offered. Don't fool yourselves into thinking you control anything as far as your wages. The company controls what they can & will pay and who they will pay it too. If you want the number of hacks to increase then keep on the way you are. Turnover rates are climbing while at the same time pay rates are dropping. High turnover rates and low pay breeds hacks. If you want to spend a lot of your time going behind the latest batch of FNG's (who will be gone in two months) fixing their screw ups at service call rates, then you don't need a union.
I have said it before and I will say it again, "A well treated employee has no need for union representation." But if you feel that you are not well treated then contact either CWA or IBEW and see if they can help. As for you office guys, if your employees are trying to unionize, instead of rushing out to hire a high priced law firm to bust up union efforts you might take a closer look at how YOU are treating the workers and how you can make things better for ALL.
This is CABL.com posting #171647. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mSOF
Posted in reply to: Re: Something to consider by Waiting out the Storm
There are 3 replies to this message
Re: Something to consider sumahit 7/9/2006 7:51:00 PM
Re: Something to consider Against the Wind 7/9/2006 7:08:00 PM
Re: Something to consider Waiting out the Storm 7/9/2006 6:06:00 PM