Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: Latest news on Verizon

Yeah...unfortunately it isn't as easy to try & pass 20mb per sub in HFC, but you could do that for "some" subs, or more likely, commercial subs.

The limit of coax is more the limit of EIA frequencies available for CMTS...and of course...how much money you have to spend.

Factor in the amount of EIA frequencies you can dedicate for CMTS...coupled with the issues of the distances from the nodes, etc. But using 256 QAM, you get 38.8 Mb/s per RF carrier. So 38.8 x the amount of dedicated QAM carriers to CMTS is essentially the limit. Naturally this leads back to the hub/HE's capacity to segment out nodes. So this is why the main issue for how much bandwidth can you offer is...money.

I have heard talks of 512 QAM becoming a possibility...but I doubt soon enough for people to hold out for it. I don't know if it would be appropriate for video, but I'd guess it would be fine for data!!

But on the flipside...unless you host video games for a living, or some other high bandwidth app out of your house, 20mb is really way too much for almost anybody. Heck...most internet sites and streaming media isn't even capable of streaming that high to you. But that's a different story...and I don't want to bore anybody more than I already have!! hehe
This is CABL.com posting #170093. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mSpB
Posted in reply to: Re: Latest news on Verizon by nrb1
There are 2 replies to this message
Re: Latest news on Verizon Waiting out the Storm 6/14/2006 8:03:00 PM
Re: Latest news on Verizon nrb1 6/14/2006 8:35:00 AM