Create your free account now! Sign up

Re: newbie seeking honest advice

Okay, here's the basics...
Contracting in most cases will be your best bet for the money however, no bennies...
Depends on where you are, who's the MSO (that's Cable Company) and who's the Prime (that's contractor) doing thier installs.
In-house (working directly for MSO) will pay substantially less to start out but ya get some of the goodies in bennies...
Since I've been on both sides of the fence, my advice would be to get with a GOOD contractor to learn the trade first.
Remember, there's more to cable than just installation.
There's a whole bunch of electronic theory and plant construction stuff that goes into it to make it all tick.. depending on where you see yourself, there's a world of opportunity.
After getting well versed in installation, troubleshooting and customer service as a contractor, you will be a more desireable prospect to an MSO therefore (hopefully) able to start at a higher than entry level paying position.
If you're sharp, you'll be able to tell whose blowing smoke up yer butt or giving you a good deal.
Get on this board, ask questions, a lot of times answers will vary from one extreme to the other but the truth usually lies somewhere in the middle.
I myself prefer the contracting aspect but then I don't have family responsibilities as you do. I've been somewhere in the mid 40K range the past couple of years but then I'm an old fart and don't bust ass like I used to....and yes Bird Dog, I live in a single wide....
This is CABL.com posting #168630. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mR10
Posted in reply to: newbie seeking honest advice by xxibsxx
There is 1 reply to this message
Re: newbie seeking honest advice xxibsxx 5/22/2006 8:02:00 PM