Create your free account now! Sign up

newbie seeking honest advice

Hello all,
I recently got out of the military as an interior communications electrician, and i truly enjoyed the work.
since then i have been working at a shipyard doing electrical work the job leaves me dissatisfied at the practices and work style required to "get the job done", i am looking at doing d ts/catv install as a means of income to support my family.
After reading most of this sites discussion i see numerous complaints as to pay and in house v rs sub-contractor.

i realize that any job can be frustrating and or complaint driven i am not looking for a 9-5 desk job making 45 bucks a hour with three hour lunches, i am looking for a job i can enjoy.
while in the military i transfered often and had numerous catv installs done for new homes that i moved into, every installer whether subcontractor or driving a company vehicle, always seemed happy to be there and to do the job, all of them took time to chat after the job and not just about how to make this equipment work with that, i realize that install work is not all walk up ring a bell run ten feet of line toss on a few connectors and walk off some of it will be hot heavy dirty work but it has to be better than doing a job half arsed just to get it done before deadline only to fix it later. i cant stand rework due to haste.

My question is can i make close to the same (18.42p/hr union/benefits) doing installs i realize that is hard to say with out a lot of information but i need to know if its possible before i spend the money on the tools/ equipment needed to get started i am willing to spend the cash and take the time to do the jobs right im not looking to get rich just enjoy my work again i absolutely hate that right now every morning it is a physical fight for me to get out of bed and go to work the pay is good the benefits are good but the job sucks, i need a new one but i need to be able to support my family too and too much of a pay or benefits cut (ie if i cant make the money to pay for the medical) isn't worth it. but at the same time the fight to go to work isn't working either.

thanks for reading and i welcome your flames rants and honest answers

This is CABL.com posting #168581. Tiny Link: cabl.co/mR1d
There are 5 replies to this message
Re: newbie seeking honest advice Dcableservices 5/22/2006 7:45:00 PM
Re: newbie seeking honest advice T.F.T. 5/22/2006 7:31:00 PM
Re: newbie seeking honest advice prewired 5/22/2006 2:50:00 PM
Re: newbie seeking honest advice Splicer Life 4me 5/22/2006 2:17:00 PM
Re: newbie seeking honest advice Bird Dog 5/22/2006 1:34:00 PM